Topology and Multi Resolution - I’m not getting it!

I have been working with Nomad Sculpt since Mid September and I’ve made some creations I’m very proud of. But I don’t understand how I’m supposed to utilize multi resolution/topology. When I voxel remesh, I go up in small increments, but sometimes I get in a zone and sculpt for a while and then it expands it’s own setting. Next thing I know I’m at a million polygons. I don’t understand how they correlate to each other (voxel remesh and multi resolution) and they seem to interfere with each other. Can ANYONE break it down for me like I’m five years old? I’m truly frustrated

1 Like

Topology = surface of the mesh (turn on wireframe, the grid over the mesh is it’s topology)

Multi-Resolution = the surface topology is its resolution ( like screen resolution) - the higher the resolution, the more define the details.

In order to use multi-resolution, you have to use a process called Subdivision - which enhances the mesh’s resolution in set increments, but eventually it will create a mesh resolution too big for even Nomad to handle and it will crash - that’s why it is limited to 10 levels. Multi-resolution is for working with details on your model, you can lower the resolution to make big adjustments to the model without losing details from the high resolution, and swap back and forth.

Voxel Remesh = Creates a new topology on your mesh, evens out the surface where the mesh resolution can be scaled with finer control.

2 Likes

For some further, deeper reading if anyone else is curious, brilliant article on voxels here: The Main Benefits and Disadvantages of Voxel Modeling

1 Like

Display the wireframe to understand what’s going on.
You can also check this page Topology | Nomad Sculpt

1 Like

Thank you, I’m gonna check this out shortly. I understand the definition of what each one does, my problem really seems to be how to utilize them so that they work in concert - multi resolution, voxel remesh. For instance, I was doing a sculpt out of one primitive, a sphere, but I was trying to build an entire female from from that sphere. I was doing the voxel remeshing periodically as a used to move tool, smoothed, and in some instances added clay and the zoomed out perspective had me thinking that everything was fine and I had the smooth surface I wanted. However, when I zoomed in on the face, my constant remeshing had HIGHLY pixelated the face.

Thank you, going to check out this page too. I don’t know why, but this is extremely difficult for me to grasp, because I’m not understanding the cause and effect. Like, it took me FOREVER to notice/realize that every time I hit voxel remesh, it was dropping the polygon count.

When you remesh you lose surface detail - and just like zooming in on a regular flat image, it pixelates - it’s the same with 3D modeling and the mesh, the closer you get loss of definition becomes apparent.

You don’t need to use sub-division once you’ve remeshed into voxels. The voxel resolution is controlled independently by its remesh slider. Using sub-divisions after will bring the vertices/faces count to absurd levels.

1 Like

Wow…I was actually told that after I block out the large shapes and sculpt out indications of structure/features, to subdivide before moving forward to the fine detail. At this point I have not been able to successfully sculpt a full human form from one sphere just utilizing voxel remeshing and then, for me, it reached a point where nothing was working…like the sculpt had been corrupted to such a low quality that there was no fix.

Another question for you…when you pull in a primitive, a sphere let’s say, in a new scene - does your sphere open to 98.3k polygon count with 5 subdivision tabs on the multi resolution slider? And if so, when you begin blocking out the shape of a human form, do you lower the resolution on the slider (mine defaults to the highest), but should I take it down a notch or two? Then, once I voxel remesh, is that supposed to restore smoothness to my surface. Sorry about the barrage of questions, but I’m REALLY struggling.

Subdivisions are finite, you can only go so far before there’s an intense leap. If you work with subdivisions + multi-resolution only, then you’re limiting the amount of vertices/faces you can use over-all (because the next subdivision up will be astronomical compared to its previous). Switching to voxel will allow for even higher poly sculpts because of its more dynamic resolution change. Once you’ve done a block-out, and if you voxel merge your pieces at a low resolution, you can subdivide only up to a point. Really depends how much detail you want to put in your model.

1 Like

Is there a way to insert photos here or nope

That is the default sphere - they’re all the same.

I only lower the resolution to model the frame. I do any humanoid form blocking out with Tubes personally.

No, you’re changing the topology, the surface is smoothed over as a result of this operation (loss of surface details). It’s not a feature to aesthetically smooth out the model (like the Auto-Smooth in Materials for example)

2 Likes

You should really display the wireframe when experimenting with topology operation.
Check the videos (the first 3) in the page I posted above, I made them precisely for this purpose.

4 Likes

You can now upload images.
There’s an anti-spam protection for new users that is relieved after a bit of time (I left all the forum settings by default, not sure exactly how it works).

1 Like

Thanks so much, I just found the icon for it. I would like to post a few examples here to better explain the challenges I seem to keep facing

1 Like

This is just my opinion, but you may want to try using dynamic topology. Turning it on, you don’t have to keep remeshing until you have your base set. Then you can remesh once (at a high enough voxel count) and then just enjoy the process rather than worrying about the numbers.

Thank you. I did trying the Dyno also and still managed to run into some of the same problems. I will definitely have to try again to figure out what I’m missing

Thank you. I tried to watch and for some reason they just froze up on me and wouldn’t play. I’m not sure why

So here are images of me starting a sculpt…usually I start at the highest resolution on the slider because it’s the default.

• on this one, i lowered it and used the move tool to get the head shape
  • then I did a voxel remesh

Normally what I do from here is use the move tool to extend out the neck and shoulders…I actually will move tool all the way down through a torso…smoothing and voxel remeshing along the way. Now, should I be adding clay instead of stretching out the clay that’s there?

Hopefully you can see the settings in these photos

2 Likes

Those didn’t show up in the order I chose them…the one before the last one is actually where I left off, after smoothing the sphere.