Don't know how/when to use Voxel-Remesh or Multiresolution/Subdivide

Hi there :slight_smile:

I haven’t quite understood how the two differ and when / how to use them.

As far as I understand, in the blocking-out phase you can use the voxel remesh as often as you want and initially work with as little resolution as possible and go up from time to time. I rarely work above a value of 800 here…but it can be adjustet a lot higher in the settings.

I often have either the problem that at a certain point when I increase the Voxel Remesh, I get a warning about the memory (i use the new M1 iPad!) or that my sculpture loses details if they are too low. It’s hard to find the correct Resolution to be able to go on and sculpt/move smoothly, and not to lose (rough)details.

I haven’t touched Multiresolution so far, but as far as i understand, it does the same as Voxel Remesh? Does it? Somebody wrote here, that you can go up and down with the subdivide tool to do details and when downscaling, it doesn’t affect the details at all…why should i use Voxel Remesh then?

Happy if somebody could explain it to me in a very easy way :slight_smile: im totally lost right now.

THANK YOU!

Display the wireframe to understand what’s going on.
You can also check this page Topology | Nomad Sculpt

2 Likes

I have been watching a youtube channel that helps with beginners and explains the use of multi resolution, and when to use the voxel remesh here is the link. its very helpful
for multi res: Nomad Sculpt: Retopology - Multiresolution - YouTube

for voxel remesh: Nomad Sculpt: Retopology - Voxel Remesh - YouTube
Erika explains very well more tools and even has a beginner playlist you might want to check out
Good luck

1 Like