Loss of quality when doing "voxel merge"

Hello colleagues, I am finally going to print my first figure made with nomad sculpt. I want to do the bust and the base separately. My problem arises when I do a “voxel merge” to make the hole in the base. The bust loses all quality … What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Because for boolean you make voxel remesh then increase resolution.

1 Like

And what is the solution to not lose resolution? What should I do?

Increase résolution more than 400 and try.

1 Like

Ok, I have to raise the resolution before doing the “voxel merge” action.
But that increases the weight of the object … :thinking:. I imagine that I will have to play with the topology settings.

1 Like

yes play with settings and later you must decrease by voxel remesh decimation (bad iedea for me) or use dynamic topo with decimation and paint with no color not roughness not metalness and you can decrease on specific place of your model

1 Like

Ah, I have managed to do it fairly well, I get a bit lost with the dimensions and quantities … But I’m really enjoying it. Thanks for your advice! :raised_hands::raised_hands:

3 Likes

I still have problems to join all the pieces of a figure … Sudden closures (with more than 3000 mb of memory) loss of quality etc …

1 Like

Hello everyone, I have a question that I would like to answer … What can I do to avoid this grid when I “remesh”? Do I want it to stay smooth?

I think you forgot to uncheck the flat subdivision :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer! :raised_hands:
The same thing keeps happening to me deactivating that option, act the same with that option checked or unchecked … :thinking:

You can turn on smooth shading in the setting if it’s turn off. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You need to subdivide your model first before voxel remeshing, only “subdivide” will subdivide your model with the smoothing effect.

My advice is to disable Smooth Shading, that way you would understand what’s going on when voxel remeshing.

You are being tricked by the Smooth Shading option by thinking your sphere was smoother than what it was.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your time in replying! There are still details that escape me, and I go crazy.
I highly recommend this app to friends and colleagues, not only because of how wonderful it is, but also because of the great community behind it … Bravo :clap: :clap: :clap:

What is the difference between “sphere” and “UV sphere”?

Thanks for the advice, as soon as I get home I’ll try this, I didn’t even know what this option is for …:smiley::+1::+1:

Yes I know but I need it since my ram is limited :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The topology, the UV has singular pole, which is bad for sculpting.
Honestly it’s not really useful right now, but maybe in the future.

The Sphere is a cube subdivided (that you can project on a sphere to get a perfect shape if you want).
A subdivided cube does not converge to a perfect sphere.

1 Like

I managed to solve my “problem c thanks to your advice with the option” subdivide … :ok_hand:.
Now I have another question … I am preparing my next 3D printing.
When I cut some pieces with “voxel merge” to achieve a shape … The edges are irregular. Why? Some edges are more regular than others and I don’t understand why this happens … :thinking:

Here I put a photo to make it look better what I mean.

In the second photo you can better appreciate the difference between regular and irregular edges

1 Like

The “regular” edges have faces that turn the corner and make a nice sharp edge, and are straight edges. They are aligned to the remesh matrix. Curved “irregular” edges can look lumpy as the faces are at an angle to the line of the curve. Adding more faces along that edge with dynamic topo may help, as would pinching. I suppose you can’t rely on smooth shading as your 3D printer doesn’t work like that.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your time in trying to help me … I don’t know if when I print the piece those details will be noticed or not.
I don’t know how I could use those tools that you advise me on those edges … They are still more deformed. Still thanks for the advice.

1 Like