Low poly modeling

Solution : make a light kind of 3dsmax dor ipad lol.

1 Like

I would LOVE a to see some box modeling tools like ZModeler or at least some hard surface tools to get nice even sharp edges. A different kind of remesher would be great, something other than vowel which tends to destroy sharp edges and of course any dynamic resolution.

Iā€™ve been using Shapr3d for a little over a year and while far from perfect, itā€™s far superior to Onshape. Sadly the cost is too high. Being a teacher, I was able to get the free educational license. But bring files from Shapr3D into Nomad usually doesnā€™t work. Even if they can be imported, they canā€™t be subdivided without falling apart or just becoming a mess of triangles.

On a side note, there IS a traditional type modeling app for iPad called SKETCH 3D http://www.nurbs-g.com/ but the user interface is so completely anti-intuitive it just canā€™t be used, By accident I was able to draw some polys, extrude, rotate, etc. but I couldnā€™t actually get polys to go where I wanted, I wish the developer would team up with a UI expertā€¦ I recommend you check it out though, maybe someone can figure it out.

3 Likes

If you are on android like me you can try this app for basic box modelling but sadly itā€™s requires an annual subscription of INR 1599 for exporting objā€¦

1 Like

Shapr3d is powerful and easy to learn but since a couple of days i try onshape and i give up one time but the communauty help me and this app is powerful like Shapr3D.

1 Like

I see this but is not for ipad :frowning: if fonctionnality like prisma3d was includes in nomadā€¦ no limit for the crĆ©ation.

6 Likes

+1
Please add Low Poly molding tools, Nomad is already capable of much more complicated features. This will open the door for so much more possibilities. Also adding tools to make hard surfaces would be great!

Thanks

4 Likes

Iā€™ll add my upvote for more box-modeling features as well. Cā€™mon Stephane, itā€™s what the users want! :wink:

Seriously though, just some basic verts/edges/faces manipulation would do wonders. Being able to extrude/inset faces, insert and slide edge loops, and bevel edge selections would be great additions. I am sending positive vibes in your direction! :smile:

6 Likes

Maybe at some point.
Itā€™s something Iā€™m thinking about regularly, but there are still things I want to do first.

17 Likes

Thatā€™s good to hear. :+1:t2:
Iā€™m very happy at whatā€™s been done so far with Nomad in a year. Low poly modelling tools would be a great asset to Nomad. If the ability to low polygon model and basic deformation was in Nomad I will probably use Zbrush a lot less or very rarely. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

New mask selection is almost there for very basic box modelling. Except it generates a new mesh each time. So close to extrude :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I haev recently started using Nomad, and I am adding my vote on this to support for low poly modelling :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Any updates on this topic? Or any other alternative iPad box modellers ? Would love edge / face extrusion , vertex selection ,edge split, weld ā€¦. wouldnā€™t need much more to make nomad an even more killer modelling app.

5 Likes

Yup, give me insert edgeloop, merge vertices and extrude polygon/edge and we have 80% of a good polygon modeler.

As for alternative dedicated polygon/subD app. I would easily pay 100-200$ for a blender or maya like software on iPad.

3 Likes

If you use split without closing holes and simple merge after, the vertices are automatically welded.

So the basic tech is there.
One idea from today:
I would love to touch the transform gizmo move handle, after it is active, I touch smooth. Now it performs a extrude function.
This is already possible, but with lots of steps.
If there would be an ā€œopen shellā€ function, that you can simple merge and auto weld after would be already a step. Automated simple merge ā€¦ā€¦and extrusion is ready. :star_struck: would be cool.

@Holger_Schoenischka is a low poly master with Nomad doing things I never would have thought about.
Follow him and learn amazing stuff.

3 Likes

Iā€™m just here to upvote this, lowpoly modelling tools in nomad haha +1

6 Likes

Definitely my #1 request as of now. Would be so valuable to retopologies

2 Likes

hey +1 for extrusion add some faces vertex bevel ā€¦ would be a dream on tablet :slight_smile: there is no good app on Android like nomad .

3 Likes

create a highpoly model and decimate it to the maximum

I would only recommend Decimnation, after you copied/duplicated your work. After decimation, your model isnā€™t anymore workable or editableā€¦

3 Likes

When one sculpts in clay does one have low level clay? I understand such software can be time consuming to get such results. There is better software to get said results. One must learn how to use this software for such results. Rome was not built in a day nor was the sculptures that did hard surfaces with a mallet and chiselā€¦you can use free software to import low poligons. To demand from others to make your work easier is quite the demands on them. Would it be fair of them to demand for you to do better in hard surfaces??