Why paint is fuzzy?

I want to color the model, but it’s always fuzzy even though the vertex is over 520k!

Is there anything I made wrong?

Any help will be appreciated!

I believe that you have a square alpha selected, turn of the square alpha on the left side, that should fix it

1 Like

You can increase intensity of brush on full amount.

First - check with wireframe switched on if the mesh is really dense enough.
520k just says to me that you are not working on default sphere.
No idea how big your mesh is.

Second - if mesh is really dense enough for the crisp look you want, check tips above. Further more you can change the falloff curve to flat on max in stroke menu. On top of alpha, the falloff curve controls a fade out of your stroke sides.

Third - increase your mesh density or use dynamic topology to locally increase the mesh density if necessary.

Thanks for response!

Here is the wireframe

I’m new for 3D,not sure whether the dense is enough,just keep trying to subdivide the model.

I want to paint some hard-edge circles on the surface, but it always shows a gradient cube around each vertex:

So the circles are always jagged.

I’m wondering:

1. Is this normal (each vertex is surrounded by a gradient cube when painting)?
  2. How can I paint hard-edge shapes?

Thanks again!

Thanks for response!

My bad, I forget to turn off the square alpha.

I want to paint some hard-edge circles on the surface, but it always shows a gradient cube around each vertex:

So the circles are always jagged.

I’m wondering:

1. Is this normal (each vertex is surrounded by a gradient cube when painting)?
  2. How can I paint hard-edge shapes?

Thanks again!

Thanks for response!

Increase intensity helped a lot!

1 Like

What you’re seeing is exactly what is supposed to be displayed with vertex painting. Once you understand what’s going on, you’ll see why. I’m probably the least qualified to explain it…lol.

If I remember correctly, southerngfx had a little video about it on YouTube some time back. There’s likely quite a lot more videos about it as well.

Basically, it’s exactly what it says. You are painting each vertex and it creates a gradient between them. Once you have a high enough density of vertexes, you won’t see each little gradient, but solid lines. Like zooming out from a microscope. It’s not the same as UV mapped textures that can have a full picture mapped between vertexes. Though when zoomed in, you are limited by the pixel density of the texture map.

So, the higher the density of the vertexes, the better quality of painting you can display.

If you want exact sharp edges, it is better to split the mesh, otherwise the polycount will be too high.

1 Like

I found that video, now understand, thanks sooooo much!

Thanks soooo much!

Now I understand the difference, higher poly may kill my old ipad, maybe I should use another painting app.

You can consider to sculpt the forms and render a black & white picture. Then you can use a painting app, import the render and then put a layer on top, change mode to color and do general colouring. Then add whatever you want.
Before Nomad, I used Forger for sculpting and Procreate for painting.
First picture left bottom corner is what I send to Procreate.

With Nomad render, you can achieve a much better render for paint over.
Just something to consider :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Thanks for response,I will try that!

There is a trick to rejoining without blurring the edges when you split, but I’m pretty sure I’ve already mentioned it on the Discord.

Yes, I remember your trick. But you do not have to tell all the tricks at once…:wink:.

2 Likes

Lol. Starting up a money-for-tips underground where only the rich know the high end tips? :rofl:

The first rule of Sculpt Club is ‘Do Not Talk About Sculpt Club’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

What’s the second rule? I forget :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: