Some toon/comic shaded sci-fi 👍

Great, you gave me an idea and I reinstalled feather because I didn’t understand anything. I imported something in feather and I redrew the outline to make it look like a drawing and wow it works great.

1 Like

I love feather - can import from Nomad, use the mesh as a base to draw on & then export back to Nomad for rendering etc. Works really well.

3 Likes

Yeah feather has been amazing and has some real potential to be a very functional addition to the nomad sculpt workflow. Here is another render I did yesterday with a spaceship model I made in feather. Still can’t believe I’m getting renders like this on the iPad lol!

4 Likes

Your pics are strong & poetic. Lovely posts.

1 Like

Your last images are simply beautiful. Great job.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words!!:pray::v:

Really appreciate it! :v:

Here are a couple more pieces that I completed last month. The only thing I did with the astronaut in the tube was put it in procreate to add the color gradient and I did draw in his “lifeline” because it was kind of an after thought.

6 Likes

I love it, really. How create the tube interior? the background of the second image is with procreate? the noise effect is cool

Yeah the tube I made with rings that I attached to a curve in nomad I’ll attach a video. The background on the second was a digital painting I had done and I just set it as a reference image then rendered it out.

4 Likes

These are wonderful!
If you are interested, you can find some of my experiments with matcaps included here

And there

I find sculpting structure on an extra layer is best to really control hatching etc, but it is ram expensive.

2 Likes

So smart, :smiley: I thought about many ways to made this but not a curve with rings

1 Like

Haha I don’t know about smart, but thanks! It’s fun messing with different shapes to see what can be done with them.

Thank you! Oh man!!! Your work is incredible! So wait I’m not understanding how you got that hatching/shading to work so well!?! You used another layer? Did you just choose your composition then sculpt on a new layer until the hatching was no longer distorted?

1 Like

Here is another interesting idea I was playing with. I created a screen capture of a light sweep using a toon matcap, then I imported the video into procreate as a video and the did some 2d animation over it. Pretty cool effect I think, gave me a ton of ideas.

6 Likes

Been playing with some stuff and this guy came out lol! So much fun.

11 Likes

These are great new pieces! Love them and your renders are top notch.

Regarding your question: The hatching is sculpted.
Matcaps always blur and get deformed when projected.
So what I did was using a simple Matcap.
Subdivide object enough
Add a layer
And on this layer I added hatching with the rake brush where it was needed.
Full fake :joy: But it does the job if you only do one angle. Or you need a layer for each camera. But hatching fake is done very quick.
I’ll post a new NPR now. Had some nice inspiration at discord to activate an old technique I developed (probably reinventing the wheel😂)

2 Likes

Thank you! Ohhhh hahaha ok I totally get it now! I was reading your initial response wrong! Yeah that totally works! Great idea to add it in that way!

Here are a few more scene renders I’ve come up with the past couple of days.

5 Likes

The color scheme of first to is extraordinary wonderful. You really have a good eye for a well composed picture. Congrats!

1 Like