Some toon/comic shaded sci-fi đź‘Ť

Been working on getting a solid comic book look using mostly the post processing tools in nomad. Just exported the render to procreate to add the paper texture. Having tons of fun with this!

27 Likes

13 Likes

Love it, could you explain more?

2 Likes

Thank you! Sure! What are you interested in learning more about?

1 Like

The settings used on nomad and how is the nomad render before export to procreate

2 Likes

Oh ok yeah this is actually how it looks in Nomad sculpt! I did not edit anything in procreate other than add the paper texture and my signature. So happy to get this look right out of the app. I used a toon shader that i had created in procreate for the whole scene, then went into the post processing settings and just played around until i was getting the exact look i was going for. The texture on the “blocks” was just an alpha map I made using JSplacement, then applied after I had uv unwrapped them. Here is an instagram post that I just put up that shows a rotation of the scene in nomad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrJN1mzLpWV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2 Likes

wow looks super cool, then use a matcap? may I ask to view the shader how is? I’m very interested

1 Like

Thanks!!! Yeah here is the specific mat cap I used for this one.

2 Likes

I guess I’m doing something wrong… :frowning:
You use some post process on nomad?

1 Like

Here are my post processing settings that I used. The only thing this doesn’t show it that I also cranked up the grain to about .4

2 Likes

:grimacing:

Somothing I’m missing

1 Like

I mean I don’t really think so. The only difference I see is that I did add a bunch of texture with brushes which helps add to the effect.

1 Like

Playing with color gradients

Yes :sweat_smile:

But I can’t detail the face

NO thats great! I think the key is giving the Curvature setting something to respond to. A little extra geometry goes a long way. It almost serves as a way to add shadow “line art”. Keep messing with it and you will find what you are looking for. It took me quite a while to narrow in on what I was looking for.

1 Like

Yes, curvature is one key, thanks for sharing :grinning:

1 Like

No problem!!! :fist_right::fist_left:

1 Like

Here is another piece that I did that combined a pbr render with subsurface scattering applied to most of the scene, then overlayed it with another render using a toon style matcap. A majority of the sculpt was actually done in an app called “FEATHER 3D” for iPad. It is a lot like some tools in blender that allow you to draw with geometry in 3d space. The first 2 images here are the renders that I used to create the last image, a combination of the 2.

After combining the 2 renders.

After applying paper texture in procreate.

8 Likes

Very cool results :smiley:

1 Like