Simple Merge Issues

Bug reports: When UNDOING a Simple Merge (even with as few as 2 objects) multiple file names appear under the Scene menu. 20 or many more! They are not copies of the original objects (though the originals are in there somewhere) as far as I can tell. The Gizmo hovers over a spot on the screen when the names are selected, there is nothing apparent to view. You have to go through them all one by one to delete always making sure you don’t delete the original objects.

1 Like

Hey, it helps if you post screen shot or videos to help diagnose what is happening.

Was the mesh fully generated in Nomad or was it imported from another source? Sometimes polygons in other apps aren’t properly connected and are treated as separate islands when separated.

Check in display setting (cog icon) and make sure you have Two Sided box checked. If the gizmo moves to empty space when selected it might be not be empty just polygons viewed from the wrong side
Having wireframe on will also show up on back face polys

Hope that helps

Hey Steve, thanks for the prompt reply.

As to your questions/comments:

-The mesh was fully generated in Nomad.
-Two Sided box was selected.
-I will turn on wireframe next time this happens to see if there are any back face ploys.
-Will also do a screen shot.

Thanks, Brian

1 Like

The only other thing I can think it might be is if you used dynamic topology with the drag brush, sometimes tiny fragments of geometry can break free or if thin areas are voxel remeshed.

Maybe the dev, Stephane, will be able to give you a more definitive response but these are usually the instances that I’ve encountered such issues :+1:

I had the same thing happen to me the other day, and like you all was done in Nomad, every time I undo the simple merge, I would get loads of file names underneath, I got around it by hitting the undo redo buttons.

I’m on Nomad 1.65 and using an iPad 5th generation, I’m sure I had the settings set right too, I just couldn’t fathom why it was doing this, it’s nowhere near a deal/game breaker for me, but still, thought I’d mention that I’ve seen this to.

If you click on the item name a second time, the camera focus on the object.

But undoing a merge simple shouldn’t outputs more objects.
Are you sure you didn’t use “separate”?

Thanks Mark. I have had it happen numerous times when separating a Simple Merge. I’ve tried the undo/redo thing with no luck.
It doesn’t happen all the time. (Latest version of Nomad and 5th gen iPad also)

I love Nomad BTW. Finally a sculpting program that makes sense to use (I am familiar with ZBrush and Blender also)

Hi Stephomi,

All I did is a Separate command on a Simple Merge file. The last time this happened there were only 2 objects merged. Nothing huge or special.

It exploded from the 2 Merged files into over 20 files of the same name. All the files except for the original 2 objects had no apparent objects attached.
The original objects were just simple shapes, nothing manipulated other than with the Smooth and Flat brush.

I will do as advised next time and double click on the item to see what happens. Thanks.

Will do a screen capture(s) next time I see it. It has happened numerous times.

I am using a 5th Gen iPad and the last version of Nomad. Which is a great program BTW!

Brian

Good day Stephomi.

After trying a few things I have figured out the issue of generating multiple files when separating simple merge objects.
It seems that when I trimmed a primitive it generated tiny artifacts. I cloned the object (which shows as only one object) then do a simple merge of both.
When I separate the two objects the tiny artifacts (which have doubled due to the cloning) appear as numerous separate files.

I have attached a picture. Your email will only allow one attachment.

You can only see the tiny, tiny artifacts when you double tap the file and it zooms in.

I hope this information helps.

Have a great day, Brian

Hi Stephomi,

All I did is a Separate command on a Simple Merge file. The last time this happened there were only 2 objects merged. Nothing huge or special.

It exploded from the 2 Merged files into over 20 files of the same name. All the files except for the original 2 objects had no apparent objects attached.
The original objects were just simple shapes, nothing manipulated other than with the Smooth and Flat brush.

I will do as advised next time and double click on the item to see what happens. Thanks.

Will do a screen capture(s) next time I see it. It has happened numerous times.

I am using a 5th Gen iPad and the last version of Nomad. Which is a great program BTW!

Brian

BEFORE you merge the objects with SIMPLE Merge you should test the objects before if they can be split with SEPERATE.

It doesn’t mean anything if you merge 2 objects with simple merge, if the single objects already consisted of several parts before - you don’t get 2 objects again with seperate, but all single parts.

Some objects that are connected with simple merge split into hundreds of objects with seperate.
In Nomad Sculpt 1.66 you can group such objects instead of connecting them with simple merge, so this problem does not occur anymore, but this is actually a normal behavior.

1 Like

All well and good, but I do not think that trimming a primitive should generate multiple tiny artifacts.

I have tried the separate on a single object that was trimmed and the caution, “there is nothing to separate” pops up.

These objects were made or multiple sub parts.

Separate isn’t the reverse of merge simple, it simply creates object from disconnected parts.

which trimming tool was used for the trimming? for example trim lasso can produce these artifact if it’s used like the trim line tool by accident

Did not know that, but I was using the Ellipse tool and flipping it at the time. I have never used the Lasso to make straight lines. Interesting.

Thanks

I’ve had this happen many times on the current version, not beta, I just go through and delete all the splinters lol sometimes a pain when there’s 60 of the little buggers

1 Like

I feel your pain :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should be able to get rid of them quickly with the mask tool:

• Find out which object they’re connected to and select that object.
  • Then, using the mask tool, tap the object you want to keep.
  • Use the Split tool to separate the object from all the random data
  • Delete the random data object in the objects menu

Should be rid of them after this. Fairly quick and easy.

1 Like

Marking the topic as solved, there is no issue with Simple Merge or Separate function.

Maybe an issue with Trim tool (likely a hole detected as non manifold). It might have been fixed since then (on 1.66 soon).
But without a file I can’t guess.

1 Like

I’m not positive how it happens but I believe it’s when I import another sculpt into the one I’m currently on, the imported object is more than likely simple merged and possibly trimed (again not positive) and when separated the splinter’s are generated, haven’t tried to reproduce the issue because it’s not that big of a deal for me, but I likely could if I wanted to spend the time, definitely not an issue with simple or separate functions, thanks