Pen calibration tool

Similar to wacom calibration tools on pc. Useful for screen tablets. The only app on android i know that has it is arflow and its amazing. I would appreciate it a lot. With two separate sets, horizontal and vertical.

regards.

1 Like

On this subject (in case you fiddled with this option) https://twitter.com/nomadsculpt/status/1320416205946146817?s=21

What kind of settings do you have in mind? (Not sure what vertical/horizontal stands for)

I have artflow but my only Android device is a phone, with no pen.

I think that on phone arflow does not have pen calibration. Only on tablets. Tho to the how wacom emr technology works there is always small shift where pen tip is and where cursor shows on screen. Thats why specific pens like small samsung spens are calibrated to work out of box well on devices that they were made for. But if i would like to use something else like wacom up817e or up911e or even pens from fujitsu tablets like t5010 the shift is huge and a pain to use. So on windows wacom gives tools to shift a bit cursor. You can check this site for more info

Its important to know that angle of the pen when hold is important for such calibration and if i would want to rotate tablet/phone from horizontal to vertical mode it should be recalibrated. Thats why I asked for horizontal and vertical calibration sets. Arflow has only one set. Most of people use tablet in horizontal mode for painting.
Does nomad can be used horizotaly on phones?

Nomad can be used in both mode.
For phones horizontal is not really practical since the radius/intensity sliders on the left would be really small.

As for pencil, my biggest market is by far the iPad with the Apple Pencil.
And far behind Samsung and its Spen.
So I can’t really spend too much time on rare tablet/pen combination, especially with the number of Android devices.

That being said I’m a bit confused by the shift thing, I was thinking on adding an « offset » slider where the cursor would be slightly moved.
The main reason was to help with « I can’t see what I’m sculpting on a small screen because of fat fingers ».

Ah, totaly understandable. Android is in terrible spot, since samsung has monopol on wacom emr. The only other usable tech is aes that is only used by huawei top of the line tablet and mpp used in some motorola phones but they are rare in europe. So in general there are only samsung devices to maintain. There are more emr devices on Chrome OS. Do you plan to support it on this system?

By the way, ive tested nomad sculpt on windows devices, cube mix plus(wacom emr) and lenovo flex 5 14 (wacom aes). Unfortunately windows ink is a mess and makes your program unusable.

Regards.

Im resurrecting this feature request. I know its mostly for android cause ipad is almost perfect and windows has this build in to the driver but i still think this would be useful. Simple 4 point calibration tool would help a lot.
spen

different pen

Are you sure it’s a pen/tablet issue and not a Nomad issue.
Nomad had several issues where cursor went off pointer during sculpting (normally fixed on latest version).

Do you have similar issues with other 2d painting app?

Hi, yes im sure. Thats a drawback of wacom tech unfortunately.

You can check how it was made in 2d drawing app “artflow” on tablet.
Default green round circle is samsung default pointer to show where device sees pen position. Next to it there is actual position where app registers strokes.

just out of curiosity: have you tried to reset your S-Pen? You did not mention your tablet, I assume you are on a Samsung s-line.

Settings - Advanced features - S Pen - Air action - menu button (3 dots on top right corner) - Reset S Pen
It’s actually reset the digitizer…
And: do you have a case on your tablet? Remove it and try it again. EMR stands for electromagnetic resonance. Magnets (e.g. in some covers) interfere.

Also: in one of your first posts you mentioned pens that are neither compatible with the EMR tech employed within the Samsung s-line nor EMR at all. How did you get them to work?
up817e / up911e: That’s Wacom’s Pro line - not compatible with the EMR in Samsung s-line. At least what they tell in the references…
t5010: that’s MPP not EMR

I know it’s a pain, but you have to be very specific if it comes to non-original Styluses.
Especially Wacom is a pain when it comes to compatibility.

Btw, you can test each pen by dialing *#0*# in phone dail (Samsung).

Btw 2: Have three pens here: S-Pen, Wacom One, and the Lamy - all work fine on Samsung s-Line. Also Noris is a great choice (but no buttons). Wacom One (old, only one button, CP91300B2Z) is the best. But don’t confuse it with One by Wacom. You have to look on the serial number: CP91300B2Z.

Eagerly waiting for the Wacome One (2023) Pen - as it has 2 buttons. Hopes, Nomad will support them. Although, the low presser sensitivity is a pain… But for sculpting that’s fine. I even will sculpt with a metal nib - so no wear out (with screen protector of course)…

@stephomi: will Nomad support the 2 buttons of the Wacom One (2023) pen?

Hi, reseting digitizer wont change anything, cause provided stylus with tablet works perfectly. You can see this in first video.

Next. Ofc all of devices i mentioned are UD compatibile. So same tech from 1992? i believe. They are not easy to get these days but they are same.
t5010 is also emr/ud/spen/penabled whatever wacom calls it.
These are all “original” styluses made by different vendors but same wacom tech.
If you need 2 buttons, fujitsu, dell, modbook, wacom, IBM/Lenovo have made few of them in the past but im pretty sure second button will not work on any android tablets. Cause this “feature” is reserved for wacom devices and pro lineup.

All of pen you mentioned are lets just say not great and im 100% sure some if not all will have issue im requesting to fix. There is a reason, why from cheepest to most expensive wacom screen tablets there is a tool to calibrate pen.
Please threat me as more advanced user. Thank you.

Well - Wacom is a pain in the a** if it comes to information.
I was asking them for a 2 button stylus replacement for the old Wacom One ‎(DTC133W0B); Pen (CP91300B2Z) - only they told was: S-Pen, Noris, and Lamy (I even wondered they mentioned other brands). But no 2 button stylus. If you tell these old one works with the Samsung s-line…

The problem with EMR is: digitizer detects them, but the threshold in the firmware is defined. That explains your offset. The coil in the pen response on a different offset. That’s the beauty of EMR: The manufacturer only has to care about the digitizer calibration, not care about the stylus. However, if the coil is off by mounting definition, you get an offset on position. Read “The Seven Pens” if you are interested - but w/o an open (firmware) driver you need high solder skills for the potentiometer of the pen (which I am lacking…). And Samsung give a sh**t about calibration options - even on a rooted device: no one ever programmed s.th. to my knowledge…

It’s quite surprising to hear that old Wacom EMR does work. Hm…
A good source is: The Seven Pens. His passion is pen support and test tablets/styluses frequently. Even old tablets/pens.

I’m sitting here waiting eagerly for availability of the new Wacom One (2023) pen in Germany - from Amazon or other online-stores. Just to test it out for the Samsung s7 I have. Nomad would be so mush more convenient with two buttons on the pen. I do not care for pressure sensitivity while sculpting.

But I agree: in your case, a calibration utility within Nomad would help!

Just wondering: with the up817e the Intuos3 Grip Pen (ZP-501E) would be compatible as well?
Do you remember which Wacom tablet the up817e was compatible with? What’s about the second button? Does it work in Nomad?

PS: I plan to buy the Wacom one (2023), test, and thereafter try to create a 3dprinted surrounding for it only to have a convenient 2-button pen to hold for my Samsung s7 tab… It should be removable, but with a magnet - to attache to the tablet, but (if removed) fit in the tabled cover for transportation.

Yes all pens differ a bit in size, nib lengh and antena placement and they are tweeked to work best with tablet provided. But fall quickly if not hold as expected by manufacturer. For example it will work differently if you are left handed or rotate screen. Up817e was replacement part for education and medical tablets. Type pl900 in google for more info. There was also up818e in white if i remember corectly. Up911e was grip pen for first generation of cintiq. Intuos3 is different tech. The only other decent size and shape pens i remember are dell canvas and modbook axiotron studio pen. From my knowlage android supports second button, it works in nomad but samsung in pen series blocks it.

Jepp - the good: I have access to a fine mechanic workshop. So: adjusting any nib length is an option. Already sculpting with a metal nib - so no wear out (yes I’m tough with my tools).
Never understood, why Samsung is not offering a separate pen with 2 buttons - even their newly announced S-Pen Pro has only one… But always carrying my cheap open-source 9-button shortcut device with 2 dials around?

If Samsung by firmware is blocking 2-button usage: LinageOS (android standard) is an option for me. Latest - after my next upgrade - I will root my s7 anyway - no noteworthy update in sight :wink: I’m not the best in programming, but: for what I hold my degree in physics…

The first info what is really useful - thanks.

Samsung from the begining was aiming note taking. There was no draw or paint lineup. More advanced stuff was reserved to wacom cintiq lineup for android. But without any serious apps it became a failure. Then ipad came and took probably 99% of market for creative people. Now we can buy very cheap pen based android tablets cause everyone wants ipads. Lineage could be the solution.

Yes I know - however, I still hope for the new Wacom One pen.
Still waiting for a review testing it fully for the Samsung s-line. The Seven Pens only tested it on pressure sensitivity on the Samsung S8 tab - no words on the buttons.

It will not be a great drawing solution, but well: for Nomad it should work. With some luck it is convenient enough and the 2-buttons will work - out of the box. And maybe even fit in the original cover.

UPDATE: Just contacted The Seven Pens: The second button of the new Wacom ONE Pen (CP92303B2Z) is registered - but as left mouse button. So:
lower button: Middle Mouse button
upper button: Left mouse button

That’s a pity - it should be registered as Right Mouse Button.

However: @stephomi How does Nomad interpret pressure/touch on the display? As Left mouse button action? If not - can the second button be some how be of any use in Nomad? Maybe drawing on the canvas can be only handled by pressure/touch - not by left mouse button click? So the left mouse button would be remap-able? (If this makes sense)

Personally. I think the S-Pen is better than the Apple Pen and more practical. Its one of the major reasons I went to a Samsung Tab S8 instead of upgrading to another iPad. Both the Snapdragon 8 Series and Apples M-Series are extremely underutilized and it seems like this is only due to developers wanting to stick with dated API tool sets instead of learning and advancing with newer ones (DirectX12, Vulkan, Metal ect…). Most have create rigged patches to get new hardware features to work because the Engine/API doesnt natively support.