Android tablets and Nomad Sculpt

Good afternoon are evening! I have a desire to buy an Android tablet for sculpting. Before that I tried a regular Ipad of the 7th generation, but the limitations of 3 gigabytes of RAM memory upset me. I have several questions regarding both the program itself and the hardware and the tablets themselves, who knows, please give an answer.

Looking at tablets in the $ 300-400 range, like Huawei MatePad 11, Xiaomi Pad 5, Samsung S7 FE, Lenovo P11? each has 6GB or more RAM, large screens and stylus support.

• Are there any differences between the Nomad Sculpt version from Android and IOS? Maybe some of the nuances or features of the platform. For example, IOS is more optimized, or in android these same 6 gigs do not mean anything for software, etc. Or is it possible that support will stop in the future and everything will be transferred to IOS?

• Apple Pencil vs Stylus for Android tablets. almost all of them are quite weak in comparison with Apple Pencil, as well as in drawing clean straight lines, waviness, which mainly affects sketching and drawing in general. Can this somehow affect the accuracy of the sculpting? I also read that it is bad on the android that it reads the palm and the stylus at the same time.

• 120 Hz screen, Is there any sense in this for sculpting?

It is impossible to check all this in fact, I risk spending money and not living up to expectations even at the level of pleasure from Ipad 7 gen, so I hope for your support.

A related answer Galaxy Tab S7 or Ipad Pro 2018 ( please, help me decide! ) - #4 by stephomi

Avoid Huawei, you don’t have access to Google Play Store so you cannot purchase Nomad.

With the Spen you can do hovering (which the Apple Pencil doesn’t support).
That being said, it doesn’t support simultaneous input with the finger.
Depending on how you are using the mask/smooth shortcut it can be an issue.

But overall I suppose the best is to try it out. The iPad screen feeling is more « plastic/soft » while the S7 is more « glassy/hard » (I’m not an artist though, not sure what could be the good term).

At the moment I limit to 60hz, maybe I’ll allow 120hz but I’m not sure it’s really useful. I suppose it trains the battery much faster.

My conclusion is always that iPad is a superior product in almost all aspect… except that the price rises very quickly if you want more of RAM or Storage.
If you want an Android, I’d suggest to stick with a flagship « standard » product, for example the Samsung S7. It’s the one that I have so more likely to be the best supported.

5 Likes

Please don’t enable 120Hz, I use Nomad on both an iPad Pro and on my Air 4, I actually prefer using it on the Air because battery drain isn’t as fast (A14 uses 7W P/H vs M1’s 16W + less intensive task use) - and the screen refresh rate is identical on both the Air and Pro in Nomad. 60Hz is perfect territory in my opinion.

@Mr_Risle Probably one of the most important things to consider also is where you’ve already made your nest. If you’re shored up and comfy in Googles services - it might be sensible to remain there. Apple offer superior technology at the heavy cost of being encapsulated entirely in their enclave. Once you switch your digital lifestyle over to them, everything suddenly becomes proprietary. Apple technology doesn’t play well intentionally with others, and vice versa. Music services for example, has to be Apple - if you use others, you wont get full access to the iPads audio capability - thats just for starters. USB-C accessories that might have worked fine on other devices, might suddenly seem restricted or just unusable. Apple offer superior proprietary technologically, but at a heavy cost to your wallet - there’s lots of small additional costs you find rack up when being with Apple, dropping money on the iPad is just the beginning. When you’re with Apple, they want you to go full hog on their services and do their damn hardest to shoe horn their consumers into doing so. Hope this also helps influence your decision.

2 Likes