McRaven Sketchbook - Mixing 3D and 2D

I’m starting my art on Nomad and finishing in Procreate. iPad has become a full art studio to me.

Here are some recent examples:

https://www.artstation.com/carl-mcraven

25 Likes

More sketches. Loving Nomad!

16 Likes

That’s a cool effect. How are you getting that half-tone shading? Are you just drawing it manually over a high-contrast render?

2 Likes

Thanks. I use a halftone brush and the halftone effect in Procreate. There is a lot of drawing involved, but the modelling and the render gives me a great head start.

So far the hardest part has been posing my models.

2 Likes

I figured it was a manual effect! Thanks for the reply.

ZBrush has a similar effect in their non-photorealistic filters which is pretty cool, too.

It would be cool to see your initial Nomad sculpts to see what you started with.

1 Like

Here is the most recent one!

5 Likes

Impressive!

1 Like

Thanks! Here is one more:

6 Likes

Very atmospheric! How are you posing your characters? Are you just masking and rotating? Is the base mesh imported or are you sculpting from scratch?

Thx for posting!

1 Like

I split in pieces and pose using gizmo, or I render different parts separately to patch together in the drawing stage. Sometimes I use the render, sometimes I trace and sometimes I just reference it.

I’m still experimenting and developing a workflow…

1 Like

First time using the paint tools in Nomad. Very cool! I later painted over it a bit in Procreate to take it further. Here they are:

1 Like

Character design for a new project to put my IPad workflow to test:

6 Likes

7 Likes

Wow this is exactly what I been trying to do unfortunately my sculptures are noob lol great work

3 Likes

Thanks! You just have to keep sculpting and drawing, Alton. Never stop! And post it in the forum for us!

4 Likes

Here is the last one. I sculpted the figure from scratch, but not the guns. I will still try to improve the figure and create a few more compositions with him.

6 Likes

More sketches. First time using mask to pose, instead of split. I like it for small changes, but prefer split when I have to make bigger movements. I will explore this topic more.

5 Likes

I love how fast I can generate compositions after some initial work on models i have already sculpted!

3 Likes

6 Likes

Really cooool !

1 Like