Is this going to ever have a desktop release?

version for win?
APPX or EXE
or Linux?

but since SculptGL developent got abbandoned.
and now we have vulkan wouldn’t it nice to use this rendering metood that is crossplatfrom?
don’t really care about Mac users.

1 Like

Not planned for now but maybe in the future.

Nomad uses OpenGL and the desktop version already works, but there’s more than just technical concerns.

2 Likes

Would it be too difficult for the web demo version to have a code for registered users to gain access to file saving & undos? I suppose that would open things up for piracy, which currently can’t happen on iOS devices (although there is evidence that it’s happening on Android :(. )

3 Likes

I would definitely go for this. I’d love to work back and forth between the two while speaking the same language (so to speak). The Blue Stacks emulator doesn’t handle the translation very well. It crashes easily.

One big UPVOTE from me !

Yes! My kids are always using my iPad, so I’d love to be able to work in Nomad from my MacBook Pro too!

1 Like

Seems like an opportune time to bring Nomad to desktop with Maxon’s weak ZB 2023 update and blender‘s sculpting toolset stalled.

2 Likes

Windows 11 supports Android Apps, perhaps this is the future

so can Mac so long as the Dev approves it for release on Mac App Store (Please Stephane, it works fine as the web demo on my Mac - Track Pad covers gestures and Wacom covers pen input)

would be great - i love the “feel” in nomad, plus its perspective etc…

I would also love this. Have used Zbrush for over 7 years and will not give any money to Maxon for their insane money grab with their ridiculous and unreasonable perpetual license upgrade and subscriptions. Nomad Sculpt is incredible and I am still amazed how powerful it is on the iPad every time I open it. I would be happy to pay again for a Mac version in a heartbeat!

I know very little about coding so tell me if I am way of the mark but would it be an option to convert Nomad code to Swift, that way it would run on iOS, MacOS, Windows & Linux…?

Why not just use blender …the unique value of nomad is the portability . It’s in the name people .

1 Like

Because I’d like an intuitive zbrush alternative on my insanely powerful desktop not an unintuitive maya alternative such as blender

I don’t think naming conventions should dictate how a piece of software is used otherwise I’d need to head to Kenya in a landrover just to use ‘Safari’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So what you are telling me is that blender sculpt is not easy to use? Come on … btw safari is a metaphor … equating the unknown venture into the jungle that was is the internet… its a metaphor , all I can hope for is for people to not be so lazy. Build the desktop version yourself.

I think enquiring whether code can be ported to a cross platform language is perfectly valid, no need to be a dick about it!

I certainly don’t use Swift.
Nomad is already fully cross platform, desktop included.
For now, not releasing a desktop version is not a technical issue.
I might release it someday.

3 Likes

Desktop would be great for fast retopo to get some LODs. Of course, this can be done on mobile as well, but additional desktop release would allow additional flexibility.

1 Like

FWIW, it appears to run great on Linux on my HP Envy x360 laptop via waydroid. Multitouch screen and stylus pressure/buttons work as expected.

I had previously tried running it on Win11 on the same laptop via WSL/WSA, but at least back then the experience was not very good.

1. Waydroid install instructions
  2. Launch waydroid
  3. Pick GAPPS version in drop down menu, install and wait for completion.
  4. Once it’s up and running, in a Linux shell type

sudo waydroid shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db “select * from main where name = ‘android_id’”

1. Copy and paste that number at https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/?pli=1 this will give you access to the play store. Unclear if just a restart is needed or if you also have to wait an hour or two for the play store access to take effect.
  2. Restart waydroid via shell:

sudo waydroid container restart

1. Once you have play store access, login with your Google account and install Nomad!