How can I fill in an object without issues? Thank you for your help!

Hi, so I’d like to preface with an apology that I may not know the right Nomad words to describe the issue I’m having, but hopefully someone can figure out how to help.

I’ve been dabbling in Nomad Sculpt (never having digitally sculpted before) for about a month, and while I love it, I’m still a novice. I’m mainly using it for 3d printing though. I’ve fixed my 3d sculpt, 3d printed, fixed my 3d sculpt, 3d printed, etc. I don’t know how many times at this point. There came a point where I realized I really should just start all over because of movement issues of the 3d prints. Unfortunately, I lost the original 3d model I sculpted that was the not yet cut into separate parts. And now I’m having issues refilling the inside of the individual parts. Attached is a part of the model with the torso, pelvic area, and the hip joint. My issue is that when I print out the pieces and assemble, the torso bottom rubs against the hip joint, which makes movement not so smooth. What I’d really like to be able to do is just refill the pelvic portion of the model, so I can experiment with how much to subtract all over again. Is there a way to do this? I’ve tried extraction, but I just get an unattractive glob. Ultimately, I want there to be an actual separation in the middle of the pelvic object, to physically separate the stomach from the hip joints, with a smaller hole to thread the elastic through. But to do that, I’d like to fill in the section first. Then I can go about redoing the stomach and hip joint to fit within the confines of the separated spaces. Hopefully I explained that well enough.

Is there any way to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for your time!

Check this page. Either re-voxel or trim a tiny bit with fill holes selected.
Hope it helps.

To fill it, just put other objects inside and Boolean them together or Voxel them together.

• Boolean will keep the details/shape and the resolution that each model has.
  • Voxel will make everything one resolution but it may change the shape ever so slightly (mostly on any sharp edges).

You can also try Inflating or adding volume to the inside walls until the hole looks filled then voxel remeshing.

• You may have to mask the outside walls so they don’t get warped.
  • It may take a few times of inflating, remeshing, inflating, etc.

But to make it easier on yourself it may be worth doing experiments on the gap you need for everything to slide smooth.

• I typically add a 0.2-0.4 mm gap for moving parts depending on what the parts are.
  • I make rulers in another program and bring them into Nomad so I can measure in Nomad.
  • Figure out the gap for you printer and parts, make a ruler to measure with, then revisit the project. It will probably save a bit of time and headache.
1 Like

Rulers? Can you detail it? :thinking:

Depending on what I need, I’ll make ridges on a block. This one has 1mm ridges on the bottom and 10mm block going up from there. Rotate and place it as needed and you can measure different parts.

In the case of the OP, I would just create ridges every 0.10 mm so I could measure my gap. Make sense?

1 Like

Assuming that 1 unit of Nomad could be 1mm or 1cm, then you scale it? could you share the ruler file to test? In Nomad you already have a tool to measure, why don’t use it?

For me, the programs I use are in mm so when exporting from nomad it converts to mm and depends my on the program, 1 Nomad units = 1mm OR 0.1mm (program and settings dependent).

So using the ruler just confirms that the size is correct and gives me a better size reference when inside Nomad.

Yes, Nomad has a measurement tool. But it’s Point-to-Point and getting the points exactly where I want to measure can be hard. Using a ruler makes it faster and easier as I can just stick it on or in the model and get a quick reference. Then every time I make an adjustment the ruler stays out and I don’t have to adjust the points to re-measure.

I’ve attached the ruler file I use for mm. It has an extra shape on there for a project I was working on so just disregard it. But it should give you an idea of what I do.

Nomad ruler.stl (101.4 KB)

1 Like

Thank you everybody! I got the object filled and I’m happy with it. I realize now that one of my other issues is testing out movement in Nomad. Say, I want to rotate the hip joint to test movement, but I can never replicate the exact movement of the 3d printed part. I end up rotating the joint (and it never rotates accurate to the socket) and move it into the socket with the gizmo by guessing… which leads to a lot of unhappy surprises with the finished 3d prints. Is there any way to more accurately rotate and move a piece?

Make sense, yes. I will test the rule :grinning:

Show some screen capture to understand better, but if I understand you I guess you should center the pivot with the rotating joint and test on Nomad to check how the join is working. I’m use this to check before printing how the arms pose.

Hej M_B, maybe this workaround helps (it helped me when I had a similar problem):

1. Add a new object (sphere or box should do it) to your model and make it so big that the part you want to have filled can wholly disappear in it.
  2. Move the part you want to have filled “into” the new object.
  3. Make a clone of the part you want to have filled.
  4. Make the original invisible.
  5. Make the clone invisible.
  6. Make all parts of your model inactive except the new object.
  7. Make the clone of the part you want to have filled active, but NOT visible. It must stay invisible.
  8. Voxel mesh the invisible clone and the visible new object. What happens now is that the exact shape of the clone is cut out of the new object; and as the clone is hollow, there is something like the empty form of a “shell” cut out of the new object. The clone vanishes in the process. You now have a new object that consists basically of 2 parts, the “inside” of the clone and the “outside”, separated by the “shell” of the vanished clone.
  9. Trim the “outside” away with the lasso tool or any other trimming tool that seems right. This can be a bit time consuming.
  10. Make the original part you want to have filled visible and active.
  11. Now voxel mesh the original part and the remaining new object that is now basically the “fill” you need. The result is a solid part.

I guess there are still better ways to do it - and if, I would be very glad to learn them. Have a good time sculpting and in this really wonderful forum with so many helpful people!

Best wishes,
Richard from RCStudio