Community collection of tiny but badly missed features

Made the request before but may as well include it here, locking mesh’s in scene so they can’t be selected.

1 Like

A object freeze function? Yeah this helps.

Select by material. Tap on a material and choose “select by”

1 Like

Click and drag left/right on the voxel button on the ui to change voxel density… perhaps with a little preview of voxel size like Blender does, it would be awesome.

4 Likes

Ok. This is a long list of tiny tweaks focussing on serious hard surface sculpting. But each single one could already help.

Grid

• Adjustable grid size
  • Grid for any basic orthographic view. Front, Top, Left etc
  • Grid snap for corner and / or lines
  • Snap support for SelMask, Trim, Split, Project, Tube, Lathe

Polygon / Shapes

• Long press on polygon reopens last shape.
  • Save shape
  • while polygon creation, smooth switches to SHIFT means constraint to 45 degrees
  • Two buttons for polygon and optional (tick in onscreen menu) for all virtual shapes like rectangle, curve, lasso.
    Green = execute & close, stamp = execute but polygon still active
  • Long press on Tube, Lathe reopens last created curve.
  • a polygon brush like a vector brush creating a polygon according to brush size with optional rounded or hard caps.

Let‘s go for more like this

:vulcan_salute:

Just to also say, thank you for everything you’ve implemented so far based on our requests Stephane, we’re a hungry community with our creativity! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Note that I don’t really spent time on feature request anymore, I even thought about closing this forum category, I just receive too much of it.

I do read everything but I’m much more interested in the overall « problem » rather than « ready-to-use » proposal.

For example, I summarize internally the last @knacki post by « improve the 2D shape thing and snap/grid » (I already know about that because I remember lengthy request about shape improvement).

I usually do something about when multiple people complain about the same thing.

Bug reports are always priority, usually fixed in the day.
But more and more I tend to ignore feature requests (even more so concerning UX/UI).

2 Likes

For sure, ignoring is the only way to handle the request flood.
You need to follow your development path without getting distracted.
But Inspiration is everything, isn‘t it?
I don‘t care if it‘s one or two years later and you wake up having a genius idea.
Totally different but maybe inspired by something read in here.

I already use some features implemented after I asked for that long time ago.
And I am super happy and grateful for that, like the polygon tool - awesome.
(Those days I didn‘t even had to wait :pray:)

BUT:
I am not expecting, I am not complaining.

If you remember some requests, it is already a very good sign :grinning:

Double tap on transform clone icon to lock it and continuous cloning till one unlock it again? No? :blush:
Solved , just hold clone. I love this guy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wanted to add, that does impress me the most about the development side of Nomad. I’ve noticed how quick bugs are hunted down and laid to rest. Stability in one of the primary creative suites I use is very comforting to know.

1 Like

Note that the shape thing will be reworked someday.

Not sure if you know it but you can hold the icon for the same behavior.

4 Likes

I think a voting poll on a specific need might be better? Like if you see somebody has given you an Idea or you have some other ideas, you could open a poll on a few of them to see which is most important to the community.

I know Nomad will never be Zbrush, nor do I want it to be. The scope is way to large and complex for a solo dev, but there are still a few things missing that could help artists with their work if they want to use it professionally.

Obviously fixes and stability/performance is No.1

4 Likes

No poll.
Stephane knows very well what he wants and what his road map is. There are already way too much things to do.
Procreate suggestion part is a good example that not only the most needed stuff gets popular attention.

@stephomi thank you for the hold clone option hint. That does the job quite nicely!

And now……back to tiny improvements folks.
It’s not only about requests, it’s about suddenly someone has a hint that it is existing somehow, like holding clone for continuous cloning :vulcan_salute:

NCjZPn2

Holding the clone button, best work flow from George Lucas :rofl:

2 Likes

Mask grow
Mask shrink

And crazy thinking but lovely:
Convert mask border to smoothed 2D polygon to use with tube, trim, split.
Mask extrusion etc. never produce the quality vector options do.

Add a button “+” and “-” into the save file to add the version at the end of the name like in Blender.

Add a smooth filter that applies to the selected parts globally like do in Blender.
Smooth and inflate I guess could be nice, maybe add in the way of gizmo and transform. Could be “filters” and apply following the gizmo style and in the sidebar select what kind of filter you want to apply.

(well this not be a tiny thing)

Yeah, I was just looking for something like this. Even if it was only global smoothing and no other filter, would be awesome combined with something like masked sharp angles to smooth out an up-res on a voxel remesh

You can use smooth with dynamic radius from stroke menu. Not exactly the same, but better than nothing.

1 Like

Yeah, good thinking, was just using the dynamic radius on the flatten brush to trim up some some facets on crystals. Thanks for the tip

Can also get some similar use out of a drag dynamic inflate brush, with mesh breaking abilities if you sub-inflate & then remesh :grin:
Also, on the flatten brush settings you can click lock plane / origin so you only flatten on the plane of the first face you click on :nerd_face:

I have a tiny one, when you use tube tool but you dont want to validate it, when you use the gizmo to move scale rotate, it could be cool if using the gizmo = blocking the tube editing in this contextual case, temporarily.