Boolean method broken? (Beta)

Not sure if the Boolean subtraction method of selecting 2 layers and hiding one mesh on a layer to subtract (merge) from the other layers mesh is disabled, but I cannot seem to get it to work.

It has nothing to do with layers. Make sure you are in the scene menu, hide the object you want to use as a cutting tool, select cutter and cuttee and then do a voxel merge.

1 Like

You need give more details for ā€œcannot seem to get it to workā€.

Note that boolean only works with voxel remesher, but not ā€œsimple mergeā€.

I noticed a behaviour change that might be the issueā€¦ if I have 2 objects selected (not grouped in hierarchy) when I try to hide the object that I want to act as Boolean both selected objects are hidden. Have to hide object before selecting it, Iā€™m sure this wasnā€™t the case before?

(Only tested in web demo as I left iPad at work)

Thatā€™s a behavior change thatā€™s all, but it only impacts UX.

It seems a bit more fiddly now having to [ deselect/hide/select/voxel merge ] rather than [ select/hide/voxel merge ] this behaviour doesnā€™t happen when in hierarchy, just seems a bit odd is all but if itā€™s by design I guess weā€™ll just have to relearn the nuances :wink:

Itā€™s temporary Iā€™m experimenting.

Also you certainly donā€™t have to [deselect/hide/select/voxel merge].
You can simply drag the finger on the eye or simply long press.

But Iā€™m changing the behaviour so that long press sync the visibility of the selection instead.
I donā€™t know yet what Iā€™ll opt for.

I donā€™t care much about optimising for the boolean thing.
What I have in mind is toggling off the visibility of a group more easily.

1 Like

cool, the long press is really useful, didnā€™t know about that. Ideally there would be a Live Boolean system like Zbrush where changes could be made to objects in play with a real time approximation of the result before being committed/validated but I guess that is a project for another timeā€¦ donā€™t want to distract you from current features :+1:

Behaviour change is really good and will make work with complex scenes much more easy.
Just hide before select.

I changed it already (on the web demo).
Iā€™m still unsure what is the best way.

Basically the ā€œsync the visibility of the selectionā€ is a nice default when you just selected a group and want to toggle visibility on/off.
But it can be annoying if you are in the ā€œbooleanā€ workflow.

Also not sure if having a different behaviour between item that are selected and items that are not is a good idea.

In any case, long press will always be there for the alternative (as well as the drag-select).

1 Like

I see.
There are different approaches to work with selections and active object. In Webdemo, you already adopted most of my favourites, thank you so much! ! :vulcan_salute:

Me, I like the ā€œexecute everything to selectionā€œ

Delete all selected at once? Yes all please, but maybe ask first once ? Bullshit. Undo is faster than confirming every time! We are professionals , arenā€˜t we? In one app the user is asked once after restarting the app and deleting first time and one can check a tick if he donā€™t want to be asked again till restart - with this ā€žI am professionalā€œ hint :grinning:

Hide all at once? Sure! If I want to hide single object of selection, I can long press, or hide before selecting. (But itā€˜s fine like it is now. Just a bit more consistent to act always same. But this starting to be picky personal taste)

Rename selected? Yep, all same name please, letā€™s give it numerical suffix right away according to appearance order in scene menu from top - down.

Clone, instance, changing materialā€¦ā€¦.everything already pure pleasure!

Thank you so much!

I added a checkbox in Debug menu to switch the behaviour.
Iā€™ll probably remove the checkbox once I decide.

1 Like