Zuurniverse test sculpts

Howdy! @stevetalkowski told me I should sign up over here.
Stumbling around on my ipadMini 2019 with apple pencil.
Having fun so far.
Initial sculpt from a couple days ago:

Learned how to add additional meshes, and made a helmet, then played with the PBR painting tools.

5 Likes

I figure this might be OK here as a sort of introduction and way I’m using or want to use the app.
rhoolbird_turkey_thumb
This is a resin cast of a wax sculpt I did a few years ago. Because of this guy I started making chess sets. I’m testing Nomad by working on pieces that would be compatible with that.
The first post in this thread was me noodling with a King type. He’s way too detailed, and I’ll have to carve it back when I’m done goofing around hehe.

• It’s important to me to get that really crisp carved look. I’m trying to get the Flatten tool tuned to help with that. Got great feedback on IG, thanks!
  • Right now I’m doing a bunch of flatten/crease/+crease on the edges. The last thing I really sculpted was the helmet, so that’s got my newest workflow.
  • Obviously 3dPrinting output will be one goal.
  • Lower-rez output for Roblox/realtime is another goal :slight_smile:
  • I’m going to need to make “faction” bases for these guys to slot into, so there’s a whole hardsurface thing I’m trying to avoid so far, including sculpting to specific sizes in inches and stuff. I know that’s not the point of this app, I’m just being super lazy and hoping to not have to use my laptop :slight_smile:
  • The 3d painting part is fun so far.

I’m trying to keep that list to “goals” sort of. I’ll have a “friction” list for bugs/whatever in the correct forum.

3 Likes

Looking good! I knew you’d quickly take to the app. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should have saved before attempting to render the addition of the base. Lost an hr of sculpt polish and paint on render crash. Oh well.
Here’s a screenshot.

1 Like

Yes!!! Great to see you here

Nice Jeremy! I, too, got bit by that nasty bug last last night. Lost a bunch of sculpting and painting after I snapped a PNG and attempted to save the image. Stephane promises it’ll be fixed in the next update.

1 Like

Hey! You too @brandtpeters!

Nice. Will remain vigilant in the meantime.

1 Like

Getting the point across anyway.
Will definitely be putting in a feature request for AO bake :joy:

1 Like

So during lunch, I updated to 1.3, duped that base and shrunk it to 1/4 physical size and started working on the Pawn version, flattening out detail, and remeshed. Noticed there was a hole in the mesh for some reason, hit fill holes and remeshed again and it went away, but then symmetry stopped working for that object.
Thinking maybe it was some glitch, I swiped the app away to restart it, and realized I should have saved before doing that. Bye lunch.

You can run symmetry again, and it should copy over the opposite side. Then you can continue sculpting.

that’s an operation from somewhere? I was toggling the SYM button and it wasn’t doing anything. …oooohhh there’s a whole menu now (now? was it always there?) on the top right.

OK, so, if you have a mesh that’s not at the origin and you do stuff, and remesh it, it’s possible that even though the UI says symmetry is still on, the plane got shifted to the world origin, instead of mesh origin.
I put it on world and then back to local and it popped back into correct place.
I’ll report this to @stephomi after I have solid repro.

Interested in the repro if there are issues with symmetry.
You can display the symmetry plane to help understanding what’s going on with symmetry.

OK, so, if you have a mesh that’s not at the origin and you do stuff, and remesh it, it’s possible that even though the UI says symmetry is still on, the plane got shifted to the world origin, instead of mesh origin.

By default the symmetry plane is in world space, so if you move the mesh, the symmetry plane doesn’t change.
(for the first release the default value was Local, but I changed the default behavior)

Noticed there was a hole in the mesh for some reason

It happened to me once or twice (only when I used dynamic topology).
Usually when I moved the app to background and then refocused the app.
It’s weird.

1 Like

I should stop working with meshes away from the origin.
The tool to force symmetry helped on the small bird when I pulled stuff in weird directions and THEN turned symmetry on. Was nice to be able to reset it.

Things seemed OK during this session after I dialed it in.

I found the issue and it’s going to be fixed on next release!
It was indeed caused by dynamic typology as I suspected, it’s something that was bothering me for a while.

2 Likes

Tried doing a valid layer-slider compatible morph from king to queen.
I need to make her a hat, and make sure the king is taller when I’m done.
This is all very WIP still.
I actually enjoy sketching in paint mode on the mesh to give myself notes.

1 Like

Love watching your process