Spork in the road

Didn’t realize it had been that long since I posted some of these. So, here’s some more random fun creatures.

10 Likes

so good. every. single. time.

keep 'em coming! :slight_smile:

These are great :clap:t3:

I accidentally jumped to the top of the thread and saw you mention cavity painting. Not sure if you’ve seen it, but there’s a depth control now in the paint tool. If anyone can make it sing, its you! :slight_smile:

Good sir, I am writing a book, and would like to work with you in generating new species.
For example I need an evil-ish iguanian species with a large dewlap on their neck for one of the main villains, Sietzaundress Ackessa, of the Eetgrot Dominion (A reptilian-supremacist race that is basically the through-line of the conflict)

It involves Earth during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum and explains why the climate changed (early civilization) but also takes creative liberties of placing us in a different galaxy, with all the creative medium-core sci fi I can muster.

I working on detailing hundreds of planets, a dozen alliances, their species, a whole classification tree of relations, organizational styles (very unique political or religious systems) and I’m outlining a timeline. Most of all, I have a really unique idea for the story feel and style… and plot. Could use things you’ve already got, too, with permission, and give you half of the rights (IDC about money, I’m set for life anyhow, I just love creation.)

What do you think this sort of thing? Would you want to read bits of it in a PM? Or is your stuff common use anyway (I wouldn’t think of profiting off your work even if it was, not that type.)

@mestela Thanks. Yeah, that was a little while back. If you look at the date, it was a bit over 2 years ago. At the time, Nomad was adding things seemingly monthly. But, depth painting wasn’t in yet. Was just a quick suggestion and he had it prototyped in a few minutes. Took a bit longer to get it in one of the published builds, but it works quite well. I do use it quite often in certain areas though. Makes things go so much smoother and quicker than trying to do it with a small brush by hand.

@Nick_McDaniel Anything is possible, but I’d have to consider numerous possibilities before saying one way or another.

File this one under random things you can do with Nomad pretty quickly.

Some more alien/creature doodles.

This one has been sitting around for a while. Finally added some color today and figured I’d add him in here.

Finally watched @Holger_Schoenischka video about the curve repeater. Used this sketch to try it out on the upper horns. So nice and quick to use. Wish this was around when I made my centipede.

And another head that should fit in here.

12 Likes

It would be great to see some of these together in a scene - something like the Star Wars cantina!

Awesome aliens.

Thanks guys.

@jim1234 That’s basically what I see most of these guys as…just the weird background aliens that most people don’t pay much attention to. Yet, I’m the one that sometimes has to rewind parts of a movie because I missed some of what was going on due to trying to focus on the crazy aliens in the background…lol.

And a few more. Trying to add shapes together, which can look comical to begin with, and see what kind of creature can come out of it.

Realized I hadn’t shown the original shapes that they started out as. So I made a few new ones. Forgot to save out the shapes on one of them again. Just a fun little exercise when I need something random to have fun with.

14 Likes

Nice sculpts ma, congrats, Do you have artstation or any other social media that I can follow ???

Can’t say that I’ve ever used too many other art sites. Maybe one day I’ll check them out. But, then I’d have to start uploading a bunch of images and that would be a whole ordeal that I’d likely have to set time aside for. I think I’m just not looking forward to that part mostly.

Though if for some strange reason any random sculpt brings a bit more awareness of Nomad, that could keep Stephomi putting even more awesomeness into it, then it might be worth it. Guess I hadn’t thought of it in that way. I might check out a few places when I get time.

Bunch of other stuff I’ve done, but I finally opened this one back up to finish it so I thought I’d post it. Slightly different type of bipedal insect in their future evolution.

13 Likes

Very nice models and great to show the initial blocking

Not everything, but some fun doodles and stuff.

@ray Thanks. With that in mind, here’s another Star Wars related one that I never went back to to finish.

13 Likes

Very cool !

jim1234 It would be great to see some of these together in a scene - something like the Star Wars cantina!

Great idea, or on the holo chess board

Your work is an incredible quality

Some more head sketching when I get time.

Quick question, has there been any new developments in hair for 3D with the iPad. I check every now and then, but I haven’t seen anything of note. Though I’m sure I could easily miss a whole lot. I know it’s not a major thing that most are clamoring for (except me…lol).

Had some fun with some small hard surface stuff. Not too detailed, but still fun.

Halloween is never too far away in my little world.

I was going to attempt using the curve repeater to see how it works for laying in feathers. Needed a strange alien bird for a base first though. At least that’s the plan eventually.

7 Likes

Incredible work!!! Yeah nomad is pretty powerful, very excited to see how much more it develops.

On discord guys are playing with self made hair cards. All nomad.
As we can bake it start to get interesting.
I remade my dwarf with instances, pure poly plane hair but with much less memory use.

You sir, you are a creature machine gun :smiley: fantastic results!

1 Like

That was kind of my initial suggestion to drpetter many years ago as an addition to Sculptris for a low poly way to create the same real-time hair that they do in games. Using a tileable hair texture and an end hair texture so you can pull out each section of “strands” since it was already using png. Never went anywhere, and no one else has ever made a program that does anything similar either (that I know of anyway). But with a few types, you could put in some heavy areas as well as less dense areas combined to make some fairly convincing hair. Not as great as something like ZBrush or blender, but it would still get the job done.

I need to finally get the discord app to see what they’re doing with it though.

Edit: I was just wondering, how dense would the mesh need to be for a hair card to hold the texture? How does it compare to just using strands of planes?

And now with the curve repeater, that was going to be after attempting feathers, was seeing how quickly a layer of clumps of strands for hair can go in. Just been so short on time lately.

1 Like