Soon ArmorPaint

Fair man. I haven’t used it extensively enough yet to see what’s a bug or what isn’t - either that or I’ve encountered them, and I just didn’t know it was a bug because I have not much idea what is going on in here either lol. I’m going to learn my way though it gradually over time, this will be important for my career to understand as a whole. Future builds will improve it as well. I see this as quite a step forward with using an iPad to replace a good laptop for portable 3D work. Teething problems, but I didn’t even think I’d see anything like this or Nomad on a tablet if someone would have asked me a few years ago - not in 2020s at least. Crazy what we can do now in general.

1 Like

That something is available, doesn‘t mean it is useable.
Forger is there for years, and it is a fun toy, but Nomad makes mobile 3D sculpting really useable.
If our two Stefs :smiley: can‘t use it with their experience, it‘s not useable = refund.
I wasted already ages in half or unusable IOS software trying to get it into a workflow with no success.

I am sorry to maybe got you into this situation with saying it is available, as I didn‘t bought it so far, and won‘t as it looks like. Hopefully later it will offer what it is promising now.

2 Likes

Very true, only has just come out though - a week of giving it some serious attempt will give me an indication whether it’s useable for me or not. If it’s truly unusable for my creative output I’ll soon know. It wasn’t your post my friend, the thread was there and someone else I was speaking to at the time through social dropped in a comment about AmorPaint having just been released, they were using it with an imported Nomad model. It was coincidental timing. I haven’t steered myself wrong with iOS creative apps so far. Fingers crossed lol.

I spent 4 hours on armorpaint with a 3d model that I had made in zbrush, I’m starting to understand the principle but it’s so not pleasant to use, that said I will still leave it a c

1 Like

I’ll keep my eye on any updates and will keep it around to support the developer. I’m sure it’s incredibly difficult to program any of this.

3 Likes

Whoa it’s finally released to iPadOS quicker than procreate to market! it only has the default gen UVs (which sucks) and not the plug-in yet, very much in a dev state where wasm is not yet detected, so it will require work I guess

It’s learning curve is steep! But it’s essentially a less polished substance painter though, non destructive painting with node editor :slight_smile: I built the desktop version to use before not tried iPad yet though

2 Likes

Ok bought and tested, it does crash a lot! UV unwrap is generic unwrap which puts UV overlapping each other so when you paint it paints look like a mess. Pbr material painting is ok though, but loading from the cloud crashes a lot not sure why.

Here’s a screenshot of my obj import from nomad

3 Likes

Interesting results. I experienced a few off putting crashes, I have a habit of tinkering a lot before I save in-between. Software intrigues me, thoroughly, but I can already see this is something I’ll still be tinkering with a couple years from now. When there’s more of a build up of its user base, tutorials, etc. I’ll be diving in a lot more. Nomad and other software use takes up majority of my creative time, I’m finding im forcing myself to squeeze in time now also for ArmorPaint. Thanks for sharing man.

Yeh indeed, technically armor is still in beta (desktop) version, and so is a disclaimer on the android build, but as you said they rushed this product out to get a foothold on the market before procreate does. I think that’s a bad move considering the state the product is still in.

4 Likes

Completely agree with you, so early buy so early refund, too bad I test in parallel the Beta of procreate we can not really compare but it is much less crashing, apart from the fact that you have to go through forger for the Uv, if you want to do everything on iPad it is much more functional.

1 Like

Don’t forget to post any issues you find on the GitHub tracker for issues. It would be great to have this coupled with nomad for truly portable workflow