Project brush

Wondering if it would be possible in the future to add a brush like the zproject brush from zbrush. It allows you to project the surface of an object onto another object. For instance if I placed a cube primitive into an intersecting position with a sphere primitive and then used the brush on the cube the part of the cube that I drew on would take on the spheres surface shape but the parts I didn’t draw on would stay cube shaped. It’s really good for merging two parts that you want to blend together visually but that you intend to stay separate pieces say for 3d printing moving parts.

Thanks as always for this amazing app.

2 Likes

At some point I had plans for something based on “collision”, like zbrush matchMaker or blender shrinkWrap.

But honestly for now that’s too early, as there are lot of things that I’d like to address first.
Maybe in the future!

2 Likes

Hi

Found this question posted here back in 2021. Hopefully, you’ll have it available soon. It is probably the most important brush for 3D printing (very essential). In zbrush it’s called the “Project brush”.

Thanks for the amazing App !!

So… how is this the most important brush for 3D printing? I’ve been 3D printing for 8+ years and have never used the brush. Not sure it’s that “essential”.

Perhaps I’m wrong though. Care to elaborate?

We’ll sure. It’s why I said “probably”, so it depends on what you’re printing. As your vast experience can tell you, we can print almost anything but techniques vary on the specialized field.

Like Timon (guy who asked original question) said:

It’s really good for merging two parts that you want to blend together visually but that you intend to stay separate pieces say for 3d printing moving parts.

Yes, I’ve used the Reproject > Vertex tool. You can achieve it but needs vertex selection, masking, cloning, etc. It’s a pain the ass.

What we mean is a BRUSH that can instantly detect the other mesh and project it without the hassle.