Odd behaviour of meshes imported from CozyBlanket

I’ve noticed a consistent quirk with meshes that I have imported from CozyBlanket (I’ve got the Lite version).
With a mesh created just in Nomad, you can split it (with hole filling turned off) and then join the two parts together using “join” function, and the mesh typically behaves exactly as you would expect: you can subdivide it, use the smooth brush on it etc, and it will nearly always remains a proper closed mesh.
However if I export a Nomad mesh into CozyBlanket, retopologize the mesh, and then import this retopologized mesh back into Nomad, it behaves differently.
Here is a super simple mesh I’ve created in Cozyblanket

I’ve imported it into Nomad and I’ve split it horizontally with hole filling turned off. I’ve joined the 2 parts together - you can see the extra horizontal edge loop

However if I now use the smooth brush on this CozyBlanket mesh then some of the edges of the mesh split apart

In practical terms it’s not really a big deal: if I need an extra edge loop I can just create it in CozyBlanket in the first place, however if there is a simple way to prevent the issue it would be helpful to know. I’m also curious what the cause is - something to do with how the 2 different apps treat vertex location perhaps?
I’ve never noticed any other problems with CozyBlanket meshes - but I wonder whether this issue indicates that there could be other potential problems that I just haven’t noticed yet? Thanks for any feedback.
(I would just add that it seems to happen with every CozyBlanket mesh - whether it’s simple or complex)

So I’ve just worked out that if you delete the UV of the CozyBlanket mesh, and then perform the split/join operation on the mesh it works fine. Interesting.

Nomad merge vertices only if uv and position matches exactly (it ignores vertex painting).

Maybe the UV are not identical?

1 Like