Nomad Sculpt on iPad 8th generation (2020)

Hi.

I have a basic iPad 8th generation (from 2020). Is it possible to use Nomad Sculpt on it, or is its performance insufficient?

Is there anyone here who has experience with NS and the 8th gen iPad?

Thanks for the answer.

It looks like you have 3GB RAM.

You can do already a lot with it depending your target.
Most of what you see posted here is more or less possible below around 3-4 million polys.

Illustration - yes
3D Print - yes for most cases
Assets & Characters - yes
Assets and characters with high details, hair etc etc - no

Just to give an idea.
Sometimes, I use Nomad on my iPhone S6 and it works very nice and fluent below 2 million polys. Nomad has only 1300MB available there. It’ a good idea to leave 750mb open.

So in fact, with new decimate function, you can do amazing things already, But you won’t reach those trillion poly sculpts, which are often just caused by lazy, idea less users thinking: the more, the better.
Look at Sporkfumaster thread, he is a true master in a perfect value between detail and used polys.

In my thread “sculpted joy” all stuff is done on an old iPad Pro 10,5” with 4GB Ram. I assume most of your specs are already better, but RAM is the real culprit. Stephane, the developer has an iPad Air with 3GB Ram as well, btw.

Last advices.
Close all other apps before starting with Nomad.
Save more often the bigger the scene gets.
Decimate when one object is ready (you can “save selected”before, if you want to keep High res available.

Now join the fun :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

I have no experience with this type of program yet, and NS caught my eye because it’s for the iPad.

What I would like to learn is how to create custom figures for wargaming, i.e. modelling for 3D printing :). So hopefully my iPad will be enough for that.

Eventually, I may upgrade to some iPad Air, but I haven’t used the full potential of my current iPad yet, so I can’t really justify the upgrade yet.

Up until a week ago I was using an iPad Air 2 from 6 years ago. It was perfectly good enough to create sculpted work on. So your iPad will be powerful enough to create some nice sculpts.
Obviously the newer an iPad you have with more memory the higher detail sculpts you will be able to create and a smoother experience.

Knacki’s advice will also help to make using Nomad run better.

Good luck. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks, glad to hear that even older equipment than mine can be used. :slight_smile:

Now I just have to learn. :smiley:

I’m using a iPad Pro from 2018 and no problems… I just watch out for to many objects with millions of polys

If I’m not wrong, iPad Pro 2018 has 4 GB of RAM. My iPad has only 3 GB.

But yeah - until I learn to do something properly, my iPad will be fine. :smiley:

1 Like

You’ll have a bunch of fun, I am sure.
I didn’t know that Adams old iPad had just 3 GB Ram

Look at that! The biggest mass scene created on Nomad

1 Like

Thank you all for your help!

I’m going to dive into the whirlwind of NS documentation and tutorials! :slight_smile:

Nope, just about 1.3gb of ram was available on my iPad Air 2. It still was still really useable for sculpting with its limits. :thinking:

1 Like