Nomad on the new iPad Pro?

That’s what I’m looking at as well. I need more polygons.

It definitely will. RAM is the main limiting factor for polycount in Nomad, as far as I’m aware.

Yeah, I’m curious how UVs are handled. Until we hear more, I’m assuming Procreate will just be using existing UVs. I have trouble imagining them building a UV editor into Procreate, and automated unwrapping seems unlikely.

Or maybe, given Procreate’s focus on usability/simplicity, they’re just going to subdivide a few times, and do vertex painting, counting on the M1 and additional RAM to handle the workload.

Android as well, and it can start as low as 1GB or even lower.
But the main platform is the iPad.
Small screen can be tricky. So far it’s working fine but I need to find workaround sometimes (for example the buttons on top when you add a tube primitive, they can’t fit on a small screen so they end up in the topology menu).

It’s based on UVs and they don’t create them.
Nomad cannot compute UVs at the moment, and it was a low priority feature to me. Now it’s a bit higher priority.

I wonder how well Procreate supports high poly meshes.

1 Like

Good working auto UVs manageable for any noob would fill the gap for this Procreate nonsense. That could be a big marketing magnet for Nomad.
Otherwise 3D will be as thrilling as the face paint bullshit in Procreate while so many other unsolved issues kept untouched.

Good working auto UVs manageable for any noob would fill the gap for this Procreate nonsense. That could be a big marketing magnet for Nomad.
Otherwise 3D will be as thrilling as the face paint bullshit in Procreate while so many other unsolved issues kept untouched.

otherwise, given the price of the larger version of the iPad pro at € 2,500, you know where I can sell a kidney? lol

Well, that’s another story. I bought my 10,5” iPad Pro 256GB Wifi & cellular for 500€ used a few years ago. With Smart Cover, Smart Keyboard, leather leave I never use etc. All original.
Those days the iPad was the cheapest drawing monitor computer available with decent quality.

But upcoming prices? Still it’s IOS, still the apps are not there.
After Effects, Photoshop, Blender etc. etc.
It’s addicting magic what one can do on this tiny devices and I spent way to much time with it. But to produce heavy stuff…

My Laptop has 32GB Ram, my PC 64GB RAM and 5GHz with an RTX 3090 and endless disk space.
It can master a bunch of tasks. That doesn’t mean that some are running more smooth on my iPad though, but the others are simply impossible to do on iPad.

Infinite Painter, Procreate are cool in it’s way. A new generation of touch orientated apps, making complicate things easy and feeling just like painting apps should feel.
Lumafusion runs surprisingly smooth and render times are short.

But under the line, the real things are not happening on the iPad. Therefore the price is very high.
Some don’t need more and produce amazing stuff, but as soon it comes to animation & compositing the iPad is always a compromise due to closed eco system and bad interoperability between apps and tiny hd space.

All this is getting better with each release, but still not there, where they (Apple) pretend to be.

That said, it is getting more and more tough to justify the amount of money for a still limited device.
If you are a Mac user and can use the iPad with sidecar …
But I used zBrush once on a 13” Cintiq…hell ! Tiny tiny tiny

1 Like

To be fair, now that developers aren’t as hamstrung by the limitations of the device we are likely to see a lot more ‘full fat’ apps for the iPad Pro… Forger for one will be a lot more usable without constantly running out of memory, Procreate with hundreds of high res layers and octane X for iOS is just around the corner.

but each to their own, I love Mac products and I’m going to treat myself :yum:

1 Like