Newbie questions about 3D

Hi everyone,
I just started learning 3D modelling with Nomad and it is great. I mostly sketch in Procreate (you can find my art here https://www.instagram.com/budzinskiwiktor/) and I am looking for a way to make my sketches more „finished”. Maybe 3D will allow me to do that :slightly_smiling_face:

I dont have any experience with 3D, but it seems that most 3D artists use several softwares to get a final result. Names I see around are ZBrush, 3DS Max, Substance Painter, Maya, Blender, Keyshot, Cinema 4D, Houdini and so on. Can someone tell me what else will I have to learn apart from Nomad to be able to produce finished work? My understanding is that programs like Nomad are used for sculpting and then some other programs are used for textures and rendering - is it correct?

My main inspiration right now is Nikita Veprikov, so my question is with regard to creating something in a style like this https://www.instagram.com/p/B6adEgzjhqK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks for help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice instagram!

I would say the skills acquired in Nomad should translate well to ZBrush.

This is how I see things:

ZBrush: Sculpting and high poly hard surface (can do automatic Retopo and UV unwrap)
Substance Painter: Texturing
Keyshot: Rendering (often used by ZBrush because of the ZBrush to KeyShot Bridge)
3DS Max: Everything, but best for hard surface modeling?
Maya: Everything, but best for animation?
Houdini: Everything, but with procedural in mind
Cinema 4D: Everything, best for VFX?
Blender: Everything, best on modeling I would say

Blender is the only one free in the list.
There are many combination possible, and i’m not an artist myself so I won’t give any advices :stuck_out_tongue:.

For Nikita Veprikov, it seems it’s mostly around ZBrush, Photoshop and 3ds Max according to its artstation ArtStation - Nikita Veprikov

I think it also has a lot to do with what you’re more comfortable with. They’re all just tools. It’s up to the artist/carpenter/mechanic/etc. to use the tools in ways that create their overall vision.

Sure, you can spend thousands of dollars, and countless hours, learning each of those programs. But, based on the image shown that you’re using as inspiration, that can currently be done with Nomad as it stands. Light, texturing, depth of field, I didn’t see anything that couldn’t be done without all the other programs. Maybe they really like a specific way that the other programs handle a very specific tool or process, but unless you’re creating more than just an image (either you need it within a pipeline for a game, or it has to be editable by other artists for who knows what reason), I’d go the easy route and do it where it’s all already available.

‘Finished” work can be a bit subjective. That part is up to you and the style that you’re looking to create once you’re more comfortable with 3D.

Just my 2 pesos anyway.

I wouldn’t go that far ahah :slight_smile:, especially for hard surface stuffs and advanced rendering.

Thanks for help! Fortunately I don’t like hard surface stuff so maybe Nomad will be sufficient for my needs :slight_smile: I still have a lot to learn before I can use any of these advanced options, so I was just asking to know what to expect in the future.

Also, thanks for the overview of different programs, this is quite helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, there’s certainly a number of things that Nomad’s not quite at the apex of yet. But, some of those programs are geared specifically for one thing. I was only going based off of that single image and basing my comments on that sculpt and the final exported image. It could quite easily be done in Nomad without needing to spend the additional hours/dollars. In my opinion at least.