More options of formats and resolution for rendering images

Hi! if i want to print an image with 72 dpi, the quality is low. I need an image natively at 300 dpi.
We need more options of formats and resolution for rendering images. We need you to implement this option for exports. Your work is amazing. Thank you.

Just set the custom pixel dimensions to the size that you want to print (e.g. A4 = 2480 x 3508px) 72dpi or 300dpi it makes no difference

1 Like

Thank u Steve, so, if i print a render exported from nomad at 4961×3508 pixels 72dpi on a3, will the image quality be high? no loss?

Correct, it’s only when you use measurements such as mm or inches that dpi needs to be defined.

1 Like

last question Steve, from what we’ve been talking about, shouldn’t I change the dpi of the image on PS using resampling 2.0? or could it be useful? Thanks again for your kindness, i really appreciate it.

no resampling needed, the pixel dimensions are what matters - in photoshop if you change the dpi of the image to 300 it will quadruple the pixel dimensions then you’ll need to change them back to the original dimensions. you’ll see that the file size remains the same along with the image quality at 72 or 300, the only thing that matters are your print settings or the requirements printer service

1 Like

the only thing that matters is the print settings or the print service requirements, what do u mean? Could you be more specific? What do u recommend to do to print a nomad render, with an high quality that’s as faithful as possible to the digital image?

dpi = dots per inch.

printers in the 1970s and 1980s would have limited technology, so would print big fat dots. their dpi would be say, 50 dots per inch. laser printers came along, could do 150 dpi.

These days most printers can do 300 or 600 dpi, and to our eyes we call that ‘good enough’, and don’t worry about it.

to convert pixel resolution to dpi, just get your target res in inches, and multiply it by your target dpi.

A3 paper = 11.7 x 16.5 inches

11.7 * 300 = 3510
16.5 * 300 = 4950

That’s it. Render 3510x4950, send that image to your printer, choose ‘scale to fit paper’ or whatever your printer driver calls that setting, you’re as high res as your printer allows.

In reality you may not be able to go that high, generally its not that big of a deal. Render as big as you can go (say thats 1755x2475). load it into photoshop, run a sharpen on it (or even use nomad’s sharpen), not many people will be able to tell the difference.

Dirty little industry secret; most tv and film work you see today is rendered at around 1920x1080. When you see ‘4k’ on a monitor or on netflix, a lot of the time it’s been sharpened, had 4k film grain added as a final step. No-one can tell.

It’s only apps that are 100% dedicated to printing that use dpi. Software like nomad and most 3d apps are pixel based, you’re expected to do that dpi conversion yourself.

5 Likes