Manual retopology tool

I saw that reprojection was added on the update but am having trouble finding any details of what it’s capable of. This really grabbed my interest, especially that the original price seemed steep, but with quick additions to the feature set, I’m also thinking about a purchase. Have you seen the reprojection in action and if so then what does it do? I’m hoping reprojection of UVs from original mesh to retopo version??

Haven’t seen it in action as the website and intro slideshow in app haven’t been updated. There might be something on twitter but I’ve never had a twitter account so not sure.

UV mapping within Cozy Blanket would be the dealbreaker for me for that price! Topogun on desktop is the same price and has a lot more robust functionality (haven’t used it for years though)

A friend recommended Rizom UV (also on desktop) fully automated UV mapping that does a rent to own payment model

1 Like

In CozyBlanket yes, it looks like now you can do a retopo and then press a button that subdivides and reprojects the retopo on the high poly mesh.

The end of the video shows a bit of what it does. Looks like after the retopo, you run a command and you end up with a high poly mesh that can be exported back into Nomad. And obviously the best part is using the Reverse button from Multires and recovery all the low levels (that’s incredibly useful)

1 Like

If this feature is really possible with cozyblanket, i will definetely download it and pay 100 bucks for it. But i’m still waiting for youtube videos, that show this feature and explain the workflow of it.

2 Likes

This clearly shows how overpriced Cozy Blanket is. In Nomad you can do a full range of sculpting lighting, rendering, decimation, exporting etc, for $10 and in Cozy Blanket you can do…. 1 thing…. for over $100. Then bring it back to that $10 app and keep working and getting everything done.

3 Likes

The iPad tends to make tedious workflows into very fun and easy workflows. I don’t get why you’d be against more of that.

I AM ALL FOR Retopo in Nomad. Even the simplest of shapes look better after being properly retopo’ed. You get rid of all the warbles, drastically reduce the file size which decimation does, but leaves you with a garbled surface… and give us the ability to have nice crisp lines on our sculpts.

And at this point, CozyBlanket is showing it can be done and done well on the iPad, though, it’s not anywhere near as intuitive or UX friendly as Nomad. And the price for CozyBlanket is ludicrous for what it offers.

So back to the original post…. can we get some manual and automatic retopo tools in Nomad? I’d happily pay an in-app upgrade fee for it if having a supremely useful feature is not appealing to some users.

And just for a clear example, this is voxelremeshed and well, it’s not good. A perfect candidate for retopo.

And as always, NOMAD IS THE BEST 3D APP EVER FOR THE IPAD. Thanks so much to Stéphane for developing it.

5 Likes

It seems the functionality « subdivision and Reprojection » illustrated by Sparseal previously in this discussion don’t work anymore with the new Nomad version (still working with Zbrush used just to compare where was the mismatch).

You mean you can’t reverse?
Try « keep topology » in file settings (before importing the file).

Thank you Stéphane for your quick answer.
I will try your tip and I will let you know, here.
Édit : yes I mean I can’t use the reverse function.

Not sure to know where it’s necessary to go to find the option « Keep Topology » function before to import the file.
Could you give more steps please ? « Keep topology » function is through Nomad’s menu, right ?

Files → “Advanced” (cog icon)

Found, thank you (It was like the noise in the middle of the face).
I’ve tried to import object saved by cozy with the option « keep topology » activated before importing the file. Nevertheless same result. I’ve received a pop-up indicating me « Could not create base subdivision. the current topology is probably not a result from a subdivision ».

Could you send me the file (the one from cozy export)?

Yes sure
export 2.zip (4.0 MB)
It’s a simple plan with « Test » written on it using Crease brush (sub). File is zipped due to size (13MB unzipped).
I have a cube with same process too. Nevertheless size is very huge. Tell me if you want it too. I will send you by email (80Mb).

Thanks, it should be fixed.
For some reasons the UVs are duplicated (200k uvs but it should be ~50k)

ouah, great thank you very much Stephane,

Hi Stef,
Version 1,70 works perfectly, thank you