Manual retopology tool

Cozy blanket is available for free without saving. 90€ for full version.
I just started to test and not all is working on first try for sure, but I already like this very easy appeal. Yeah, 90€ for not real needed as I have plenty desktop options is another story. On the other hand I just spend 30€ for a plug on retopo….

2 Likes

Just trying it out and I think I’ll pass for now! If it had a UVing system included then maybe but in its current form I’ll just stick with zremesher :disappointed:

Didn’t even realise it had been released, shall be checking this out - been using Blender for auto-retopo for all my work sculpts recently (paid add-on also), but this definitely looks to be very useful for big crazy sculpts and understanding topology on a more finer ground (not too sure about that price tag though for its full features, yeesh)

Jep, price is something one need to consider.
I have zBrush, 3Ds max and 3d coat 4.9 on Desktop
And upgrade of 3D coat to 2022.16 would be 89€ - much better spent for all functions I’ll get.
Topogun 3 is almost there for 100$

But painting polygons on iPad is sexy, no doubt.

It is strangely therapeutic drawing topology but for the price I would expect a lot more functionality, for example is it possible to cut topology from one project (face, ear, hand, etc.) and paste into another project?

I can’t even figure out how to redo an accidental undo or move a single point without dragging all the surrounding polys. If it was more reasonable priced for a version 1 I wouldn’t mind but for premium price tag I’d expect it to have a full array of pro controls

One needs to be fair and learn all functions before really judging. Some gestures one needs to get used to. Moving vertex is double tap I guess I.e… But no. No instant but here.

Fair enough, it was late in the day when I downloaded and was in a rush to test it out so now have a handle the finer aspects of the functionality… still a few issues from what I can see and I’m sure more features will be added in time of course

I think he could have made it way more enticing if he priced it according to feature additions as and when they are developed, ie:

Free to try (no saving)
£15 unlock saving
£25 UV mapping
£30 Reprojecting & Baking

If I knew that these features were on the roadmap then I would definitely buy it because it would be the ultimate bridge between sculpting and texturing on iPad…

Just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Totally agree - It’s very nice to use & can retopo a head sculpt in 10 minutes……but that’s currently the only functionality. A future features roadmap would certainly help the situation. Don’t suppose they have a discord??

The undo and redo features are weak, layout is as well. Tap and hold tools are annoying, such as relax, move. 90€ for what I can do more accurately in blender? Hmmmmm….

I’ve got it. So far, it’s great. Looking forward to see what future updates will bring. Retopo on the iPad, you can’t beat that.
It sure is pricey tho, but better than dreaded subscription model.

I totally understand the need for a retopology tool on the iPad if you want to bypass an extra step that has to go trough a desktop app, but without a reprojection option, how useful is it to have a new low res mesh?

You re-import it in Nomad and restart your sculpture from there? Who wants to do that? Sure you can focus on making an animation ready mesh, but It seems like you still have to reproject (and animate for that matter) on the desktop…so why not retopo in blender or zbrush anyway?

Especially at that price. Would totally buy it if you could do the whole process including UV creation too tough.

3 Likes

You can have a rough sculpt (sketch) in Nomad, apply correct topology in Cozy Blanket and then back in Nomad with a clean topology model that will scale up and down correctly for final artwork.
With a little planning it could be a fantastic workflow without ever leaving your iPad. :wink:
And I’ll take “one time payment” over subscription bs all day, every day.

Something like this:

1. Retopo in Cozy Blanket:

2. Model ready for some Nomad wizardry:

2 Likes

Wait. Can you reproject details in nomad to the new retopo model? Cozyblanket is amazing. I don’t mind the price but I would like to see some additional features maybe.

Cozy Blanket in my workflow scenario would be the middle step, before you start doing detailed work.

1. Nomad (initial sculpt, no details)
  2. Cozy Blanket (retopology)
  3. Nomad (details and final work on clean topology)

Hope I’m explaining myself right.

1 Like

That’s exactly how I’m planning on working with it. Just need to learn more about clean topology

Same boat here :wink: There’s few really good topology videos on YT.

Another quick test… (You can click/ tap on image to see full resolution :wink: )

Steps:

1. Shapr3D
  2. Cozy Blanket
  3. Nomad

Export straight to Nomad:

CB treatment:

Both in Nomad (left is Shapr3D voxel remeshed, right is CB subdivided to roughly the same amount of polygons for comparison).

P.S. Sorry for pics overload, maybe I should’ve started a different thread :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just noticed that Cozy Blanket have added ‘subdivide and reproject on export’ as a new feature, now it is becoming more interesting and viable so might invest soon.

1 Like

It’s super cool! IMO It’s still a bit expensive (90$ I think) but the reprojection feature looks great.

1 Like

Is there a way, to retopo a model, without loosing to much details? Like in Zbrush?