Linington Robotics - sculpts

Some more detail. Love how easy it is to quickly try organic/hard surface shapes. Would have taken a while poly modeling and even CAD to get the shapes. Love nomad!.

15 Likes

This will be an extraordinary beauty in your series.

1 Like

Nice job!!!

1 Like

Amazing job!

1 Like

Thanks guys!.

Did some more this morning. But bailed on PBR for my good old fashioned stylized look. Polishing the surfaces to be perfect in pbr was taking forever lol. I’ll do some realistic renders when nomad has a few more polishing/clay polish features, hand polishing by hundreds of stroke Is weirdly calming tho :smiley:

I’ll be creating a scene after , that scene I’ll make an image and place as a reference image behind, using the reference image option like a matte painting. Trying to go 100% nomad, so no procreate for retouching or post, especially now that we have color curves in the postfx!!.

I do wish tho we could bring cast shadows into matcap view :innocent:. I may have to paint static shadows by hand to simulate casting. @stephomi , is there a way to render a shadow pass or maybe we can enable cast shadows in matcap?. I’d love to have a casted shadow but it’s not supported for matcap view. Would be cool if lights setup in pbr could cast shadow in matcap. ( it’s independant of the materials anyways.) possible maybe? :pray:

11 Likes

Nice work as always. :+1:t2:

The only way to add a shadow is to make sure you have a saved camera view. Render a mat cap version and then flood fill your models with white in PBR (I quickly merged all models and added a layer to paint a flood fill) so that you can render off a faked shadow pass. A bit like the old fashioned way of filming models for film.

You can adjust the brightness and contrast on the PBR shadow render to make your shadows harsher so that they have less of a fade.

6 Likes

ah cool! great trick, ill give that a shot thanks @Adam !

1 Like

With PBR shadow problem should be solvable, isn’t it?
I played a bit with Environment on 0 intensity, one light and color gradient.
This gives super precise control.

But I am afraid it could not work in your case?

4 Likes

Could possibly work also. I’m sculpting/rendering with matcap, so would still require a compositing pass after in procreate to overlay the shadow onto the mat capped asset. Not the end of the world but was hoping we could possibly have casted shadows overplayed onto matcap without needing another software.

Bit more sculpting. Busy these days so between work :slight_smile: .

11 Likes

done-ish :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

Love it :heart_eyes: Dragon next perhaps? :slightly_smiling_face: It would be awesome dragon robot! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Ooh yeah probably will do a dragon. Great idea!

1 Like

Turned out really nice. :+1:t2:

Yes, a dragon would be great to see. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very cool, indeed!

1 Like

Great piece! Lovely colours.
I just can’t get used to straight legs and birds. Even if they are robotic. I just saw it now. It’s just my prob.

Anyway, fantastic and the best of your robotic family!

1 Like

Super cool design and style :+1:t2:

1 Like

so started playing with posing. hard to do!, but doable lol.

All i want for xmas is grouping/parenting meshes :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

So moving away from stylized. Going to give a shot at PBR, well see if I can finish this and not get tired of all the polishing . Did this sketch quickly, next the hard work, redo a final clean sculpt :grimacing:

20 Likes

Very nice! That takes patience with the current tools. :+1:t2:

1 Like