Help, total noob and messy geometries!

Hello everyone! As the title states, I’m really new in the 3D/Sculpt world, so I beg your forgiveness if it seems a pretty obvious fix. I’ve been using Nomad on and off and still learning it, there are some things which I tried fixing on my own but couldn’t find anything to help me. The cyan circles expose imperfections which I don’t know what causes them! The purple circle shows a very weird thing that is happening to me whenever I insert a new primitive. Cubes, cylinders, etc… always have these smooth, beveled edges. I tried playing within the Topology box, changing up values for the Constant density and such, but there’s no way I can get those edges to be crisp, can you explain me why?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

So, the pockmarked holes, I think, are part of the voxel remesh bug that’s being fixed in the next version (somebody may come correct me, but I’ve been noticing the same thing, and it’s new as far as I can tell). Sometimes the smooth brush will get rid of them, but there are some that seem to go all the way through the mesh and just get worse from the smooth brush. For those, as far as I can tell, the only fix is merging another mesh to fill the holes (or starting over on that area).

The jagged corner is just kind of a result of the underlying geometry. You can increase the mesh resolution (subdivide in the topology menu) to help alleviate it. Basically that roughness happens when you have a visually-straight edge that goes across the corners of the quads that make up your mesh, rather than following the edges of the quads. Higher resolution helps, and I’ve used the pinch tool to minimize the issue locally. Others might have better advice though.

You can disable smooth shading (settings menu) to get crisp lines.

For the hole, did you use voxel remesh with the multires slider, try reducing the multires slider value to 0. Or with Boolean subtractive.

I’ve noticed that those holes and ragged edges appear not only with substract but generally with voxel merge actions.

Here is an example of voxel merging two objects (without rebuilding multires).

Voxel is not really meant for thin parts or sharp edges, at least with the current implementation.

With this particular mesh, do you have noticeably better result with let’s blender voxel remesh (with the same polycount output of course)?

I just wanted to add, that I think the goal, here, is to be able to combine or reduce shapes without loosing smooth geometry or resolution. So far, I have not been able to do this. Every possible combination I have tried with different settings reduces detail.

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for your replies and help!

Disabling smooth shading fixed the beveled edges (felt rather stupid with this one lol).

For the holes on the mesh, I honestly don’t remember how it happened, I think I was using the trim tool with polygon mode on a basic rectangle primitive, and when I actually trimmed, other than the edges becoming all jagged, I also noticed the holes.

I was following this tutorial:

When he does trims, the edges appear rather crisp to me. Was it maybe because I had smooth shading on? I think I gotta try again.