Bridges created by voxel remesh

I’m seeing bridges created between areas of the mesh that are much farther apart than the voxel size. I understand them being there when the gap is enclosed by a voxel, but it’s also happening when the gap is much larger. Is there a way to avoid them?

Could you show a screen shot?

Here’s an example

Instant Meshes does not do this BTW so I don’t think there’s a flaw in the mesh.

Those two particular points indicate minor topological issues during the build in those areas. It’s common for this to happen. In this case scenario, go in with the Trim tool - be careful and just cut those segments out, then smooth down the epicentre, shouldn’t even be noticeable. You could go over once more with another remesh afterward, and it should be perfect topology.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

I did exactly as you describe before posting the question. It can be a bit tedious and time consuming so I was hoping to avoid the problem altogether if possible.

I will probably just export to another tool and import the result if there is a lot to fix. I find myself wanting to remesh quite often at this stage. I may try working more coasely for a longer time and with the blockout components still separate. I’m still learning and refining my workflow.

1 Like

Best way I find to avoid it (its almost impossible to tell sometimes what part of the build process caused it) - is if you remesh, and see it, undo the action - go in with the smooth tool, manually smooth the areas where they occurred then try again. 99% of the time this will work. It can be tedious, thankfully it’s only two - I’ve had an eruption before where I had to take care of about 15-20 of them lol.

1 Like

I’ll give that a try. Thank you for the tip.

1 Like

Are you using the rebuild multires slider?
It can be the culprit.

Otherwise, the comparison with instant mesh doesn’t make sense.
Instant mesh is a quad remesher that operates on the surfzce, there is no voxelization.
Nomad voxel remesher is akin to ZBrush dynamesh or Blender remesh (if rebuild multires is set to 0 though)

2 Likes

Thank you Stéphane. I think I understand. To be sure, are you saying I should set the slider to 0 to avoid this problem?

Ahh, I use multires a lot. Although these aberrations don’t bother me because I can deal with them, it’s nice to know a potential source of why they happen. Thank you for the information!

1 Like

Yes, set it to 0 if you want to avoid this issue as much as possible

1 Like

Thanks for all of the help.

I did some experimenting and found that I was fighting both issues.

I set the rebuild multires slider to 0 and all but 1 of the bridges went away in the remesh.

I previously sliced the mesh to fix an earlier occurrence of this problem and where I filled the resulting holes, a bridge was still occuring after remesh. I smoothed that area and then the remesh was clean.

My takeaway is that rebuilding multires should be abandoned as part of the workflow when one performs a voxel remesh. That would have prevented the problem is the first place.

The only reason I use multires to begin with is to reduce processor burden and to make navigation and sculpting faster. I am not animating or posing my models so I don’t actually use the lower poly versions.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your results, very useful information to dissect there about using multires after a voxel remesh. I will remember that indeed. Glad everything worked out.

1 Like