Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks in preserving lines, edges with boolean subtract/cut? I have significantly increased the vertices in both objects without getting better results. Smooh shading is on and yet I still get the rough edges especially with sphere boolean cuts and often even with squares. Ive used masking before to try to preserve the edges, but this is impossible to do, under certain conditions such as the ones below where I used a sphere to subtract from another sphere of same exact vertices. Thank you
We need more information.
Because there are several workflows to get a nicer edge shading - but the main question is:
For what do you need your sculpt:
- do you only need it for 3d printing - then shading doesn’t matter … don’t care about the mesh - leave it as it is. Turn OFF smooth shading then you see the mesh you get when you print it.
- do you only want a nice render image - or only a nice visibility in the viewport ?
- do you need the mesh for game or animation ?
so what’s your goal ?
Im making a photorealistic scene where the character is within the scene and is able to look around but not as interactive as a video game. I’m trying to avoid AI generation so making everything myself. Nomad has given me lots of capabilities because it’s day and night easier than Blender. But these things really annoy me. Ive tried masking the edges but that is not effective when trying to carve boolean shapes from elliptical or spherical shapes.
Not easy to fix the shading on the edges with nomad…
This Blender video explains the problem very well:
But Nomad doesn’t offer those options to fix the normals…
I try to record a video about what you can do with nomad - but it’s not easy to explain… if you don’t want to waste resources like very high polycount…
If I get what you need correctly, you need a sharp edge with a good topology to render nicely. One way to go about this is to make sure the cutter object has a different facegroup, then a boolean will produce a shape with multiple facegroups. Then if you got the quad remesher added through an in app purchase, you can easily use it for retopology and get a sharp edge that will render nicely. I used default settings for remeshing, only turned off symmetry as it makes no sense for this example.
Thank you, Holger. Blender is the bane of my existence since I’ve tried multiple time by AI guiding to accomplish tasks there and I end up wasting a lot of time and finding in a workaround in Nomad. If you make a tutorial video I will be sure to view it and try to incorporate it into my workflow.
Excellent Hulionix!! That demonstration is actually perfect and convincing enough for me to get the addon. I was a it apprehensive since I’m on a tight budget and trying to make every dollar count. Thank you for demonstrating the usefulness and taking the time to do that. Much appreciated!


