BEGINNER - Painting Help!

I am a complete beginner when it comes to Nomad. I have been using ProCreate for the past 5 or so years and wanted to expand to 3D art. I have been having the hardest time painting over my mold! I have been trying to figure this out for the past 24 hours and am getting increasingly frustrated. I have watched endless tutorials and feel super dumb because my layout does not look the same. I’m not able to paint over/shade my mold or any primitive shapes that I add. If I choose a color, the entire thing turns that color. I can’t find any info on this anywhere, and I don’t want to lose hope already…any tips? I’m not understanding how everyone is able to paint and shade using a brush and the whole model doesn’t switch colors. TY!!

Quite a few ways to start painting. I’ll touch on a few of them:

1. Material Menu. Here you can enable stroke painting as well as paint all (whole object).

2. Painting with a sculpting tool. While in a tool’s brush menu, you can enable painting. This will paint the areas you affect with the tool.

3. Paint tool. This tool will paint as if a paint brush - not sculpting on or changing the model.

So there’s 3 ways to get started. Which ways have you tried?

1 Like

You should have seen this video to understand how the colors work in Nomad Sculpt:

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed breakdown! I tried #3 - just using the paint brush to paint over. It sometimes work on regular clay molds, but it will always change the entire color of a primitive shapes (e.g. the spheres I’ve added as eyes - I try to add color for the details but the entire circle will turn the color I choose). All the other options work, but I am not trying to paint by adding clay but rather on top for shading reasons, etc if that makes sense.

Ah that might be the reason; you can’t paint on primitives. Validate them to turn them into regular polygon shapes, then you can paint.

@mestela THANK YOU!!! You would not believe how many tutorials don’t mention this! Whew, you saved me.

1 Like