Advice on using external monitor with ipad

This thread got me mildly curious about mirroring Nomad onto a big screen; not that I’d realistically need to with the sculpting canvas that a 12.9” screen provides.

Swiping down the top right corner of the iPad screen provides two “casting” possibilities. The AirPlay icon is only to send audio (music, etc) to a supported external device. The other feature is the screen mirroring button found adjacent to the Rotation Lock button. Tapping on that reveals the two opportunities for the gadgets I have on hand:

In the living room’s 55” flatscreen HDTV, I have the 1st gen AppleTV 4K attached to it via HDMI. Any of the Apple ecosystem gadgets will mirror to it without fuss; MacBook, iPhone, iPad

I’ve just never specifically observed mirroring a Nomad screen to it. Til now.

iPad Pro in foreground, 55” Samsung wirelessly mirroring it in the distance. No noticeable lag when twirling the sculpt model around. Brush size reticle easily visible from a room’s length.

The other option given to me was to mirror Nomad to my 16” MacBook Pro. Without testing, I’m certain it’d work every bit as smoothly as the AppleTV. This would suggest a third-party HDMI monitor of any size can wirelessly mirror if connected to AppleTV or Mac/MacMini… both moderately costly solutions compared to trying the relatively cheaper HDMI dongle sold by Apple. From what I can tell, they initially made a lightning version but then also offered a thunderbolt version. If it doesn’t work, just use that as grounds for invoking Apple Store’s return policy.

2 Likes