Works in progress

Another creature head in progress, needs more refinement and really hoping for SSS to be added soon :wink:

11 Likes

Very nice. It is possible to create SSS effect on its own with toying with lighting and materials. Good luck, look forward to seeing more of your work.

1 Like

Cheers John! I’ve seen some of the work arounds for faking SSS but haven’t had chance to try it out yet :+1:

Hi! Where i can find sss tutorial for nomad? Thank you

I’m not aware of any SSS tutorials, sub surface scattering comes from light silhouetting behind a figure, it’s replicable with using HDRI environment maps, then further enhancing it with Lights & Materials (light absorption and screen space reflection on surrounding objects (ground for example).

1 Like

@knacki worked out a way of faking SSS here Faking Subsurface scattering in Nomad sculpt but the video demo doesn’t seem to be loading for me but there is a description of the process

Another creature head doodle :yum:

9 Likes

First stage blocking in the body (separated the head so as to keep the fine detail during remesh) once I’ve refined the detail I’ll get the wings in :yum:

9 Likes

Very nice models!

1 Like

Very nice. Happy it worked out somehow :+1:

Cheers Knacki, I separated the head to retain detail when I remesh the body, so it’s totalling about 9mill altogether, I’ll zremesh body to optimise it then bring it back in and same for when I do the wings :crossed_fingers:

Bit of an update now that it’s at a more manageable 7million and crashing has stopped.

Started dropping in the surface detail & base colours before I finish off spine ridges, underbelly & wings (hoping that by the time I’ve finished the wings Steph will have magically introduced SSS…? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

13 Likes

Uh - in Germany we say: “Gut Ding will Weile haben.” Something like: good things simply take long.
Very well done.

For SSS there is a fake option.
Just duplicate the areas where you want to have SSS via mask or something. As you can’t duplicate complete model.
On bottom of this thread is a short description.

It’s a fake with additive material and not working with lights, but the effect is not too bad. Best to try it with a simple project first :wink:

Danke Knacki, I’ve been meaning to try out that SSS fake (easy enough to select and extract wing membranes) but ideally shader settings would best might have a look at blender when I finish him up :+1:

1 Like

It’s not meant to be used that way, but you can try refraction with high absorption value.
But yeah I’ll add SSS someday.

6 Likes

I like the smirk. Nice work!

Cheers Genko, I was going for serene smugness :grin:

Recycled the wing geo from my dragon for this WiP character that I started awhile back, once I have all the elements in place I plan on practicing an Asymmetrical pose ‘n’ paint :yum:

7 Likes

Great selection of work. Love the dragon sculpt. :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m interested in this SSS tutorial as well, please. Any links? :slight_smile: