Vines on imported scaffold

See this scaffold, modeled from dozens of pipes in Rhino:

scaffold.stl (892.9 KB)

*Would it be possible to sculpt vines growing on it? (thick at the base, thin at the top)

Thing is, I don’t have an iPad or an Android tablet, but I’d consider buying one for this specific purpose. I tried with other 3D software, but always failed.

Would be a bit time consuming to get them all put in, but that’s pretty much what the tube tool was made for.

You could even use the tube tool to create some secured lashings around the pipes if you wanted to.

1 Like

Sounds promising. I assume in the end I could merge the tubes and use some strokes on top to give it texture, especially at the bottom.

Maybe that’s too much to ask for, but if someone experienced could draw on top of the STL that I provided, that would be very helpful for me in order to see what is possible!

It is easily doable, just time consuming to do individual vines. Make post the scaffolding stl here and see if someone gives it a go?

STL is in my original post, below the rendering.

Something like this ? In this example I did not move a single node manually, I just drew a line with the Pencil, the settings for the Tubes are copied from the Master Tube on the side.

Mine is a bit different, but still quite similar. Can put a lot of time into it and get extremely detailed if you want.

Seed plugin for Nomad Sculpt, you just have to wait … :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hahaha :rofl: Nice one @Holger_Schoenischka

Haha - but honestly. The intention was to buy an iPad just for ivy / vine sculpting. For each software there are Ivy generators doing a decent job imho. Even with animation options. I used one script for 3Ds max and / or a plug called GrowFX to grow and create plants.
I am pretty much uncertain if all the necessary work sculpting ivy manually will end in a better result. Meanwhile, you will have generated hundreds of iterations to choose from with the add on for blender.

Yep, anything of even mild complexity that can be high level art directed is rarely made by hand these days.

Similar thing in UE/houdini:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I wasn’t aware of the ivy generators.

Now, if I want to model another parasitic plant, strangler figs growing on the structure from top to bottom, how would I do that?

Especially in later stages of the plant, when the support structure may rot away, the strangler fig grows considerably thicker near the bottom. A lot of roots fuse into blobs. Using just pipes is unrealistic.

The tube tool can be used in that case. While using the tool, you can create points to move, resize, rotate, etc. So the base can be one size and the upper portions can be smaller. No problem.

Within Nomad, I would make a few versions of a vine with different twists and characteristics. Then just clone and use the gizmo to move, rotate, scale, etc. so the pieces look different. You can create a lattice of vines with varying characteristics fairly quickly.

As with any software, you can use tools for their intended use, sure. But with a little imagination and trial/error you can use the tools for things they’re not intended for.

I have no idea about the blender generator, but the one for 3Ds max works with and without leaves. Without leaves you are almost there.