Turntable, blur iterations, and volume vs surface sculpt

Hi!
First off, I want to congratulate you on this app. It’s brilliant! The UI is sleek and intuitive. I downloaded the app and was sculpting away in seconds, without Even the need of tutorials… great job!!
While I am in agreement with a lot of people here saying that topo tools would b great, I’m aware that this is a big task and, honestly, with obj export, I can work around it in another app. With that being said, I’d like to keep my requests to simpler workflow related issues that hopefully could b implemented easier.
I’ve been playing around with the app for a little while now, and these are 2 things I found to b a bit clunky…
1.) i find myself hitting the blur button 20x or more to soften mask painting. It would b great to add a “blur iterations” slider so it can b set and then hit blur to get a soft falloff
2.) I am constantly switching between sculpting on connected faces and volume sculpting, but it he option is buried in a menu. It would b great if this was top level like the symmetry option (seems to b a good place to have it)

And the 3rd request would be to have a turntable option… the reason I’m asking for this is actually because of this web site… I wanted to post a turntable to the “artwork” Section instead of a still image.

Again, great job! I love this app!!

Thanks!

1.) Note that if you hold the mask button you can tap directly on a masked area to blur it.
20x seems a lot. The blur depends of the mesh density so I suppose that’s the issue. The same issue can happen with smooth tool. I got another request to have the paint tools (smooth and smudge) to impact on the mask as well.

2.) For now I don’t add new stuffs to top level because I receive too many requests.
But eventually I’ll add more customization.

3.) The turntable has been requested a few times.

1 Like

1.) Note that if you hold the mask button you can tap directly on a masked area to blur it

I did t know that. That helps. I’m usually trying to adjust proportions with this so a smooth falloff helps.
Btw… when you do this there is a dithering artifact that shows up in the mesh, almost as if it were low bit depth.
The smooth geo brush works really well for me, even on dense meshes, but, you’re right, blur on dense meshes is subtle. Volume falloff could b nice too… that way density wouldn’t matter.

2.) For now I don’t add new stuffs to top level because I receive too many requests.
But eventually I’ll add more customization.

Makes sense, I wouldn’t want the UI cluttered, that’s a huge part of why I love this app, but more customization is good :slight_smile:

3.) The turntable has been requested a few times.

Thx!

Oh yeah, there was another thing I found with masking (maybe you’ve got a work around)…
Let’s say I wanted to paint a mask around an eye socket and move the eye with the masked region. Currently it seems that the mask is ignored when I transform multiple objects.

Yes for now multi transform doesn’t support per vertex transform, only object level transform.

But I’ll improve that later.

Hmm not sure what that is, isn’t it simply the smooth shadows option in the settings?

If you have a video or a screenshot of the bug I’m interested because I can’t reproduce.

Note that when you move the camera, a lower resolution is displayed.
But when you stand still or sculpt/paint the current resolution is used.

Did you use one of the experimental option? (Bottom of settings panel)

No problem, Here’s an example. I take a sphere, Vivek Ramesh it to a high setting

Then paint a mask and blur the hell out of it (seriously, this is probably > 40x…), then using the gizmo, translate and scale

You start to see aliasing…
And even after smoothing all those times, the edge is hard

Granted, this is a dense mesh, but I find that I quickly move into this space after working on a sculpt for a while.
Thanx for looking at this.

The issue is probably that mask precision is limited to 8bit.

Blurring it a lot + high poly mesh makes the issue visible.

That’s kinda what I figured. It just needs a little cleanup after.
Any thoughts on volumes for map gen or a global distance falloff for painted masks? U could set a curve for falloff and It would solve the blur issue for proportion tweaks.

I don’t know what you are talking about

Srry, I should have explained myself better. The idea is to Maybe use a simple volume (sphere is probably best) to sink into your mesh and where it intersects, that could create a falloff map (interpolation could b defined as a property of the volume)… this would be a quick way to define clean maps without much effort…
or instead of blurring a bunch of times on a painted map, feed it a global Value (like 1 unit) that would extend from the map in 1 world space unit and interpolate between the mask and that distance. This way the density would be irrelevant… it would work the same regardless of density. if that makes sense

Hmm sounds really neat… so something like photoshop’s “selection feather” function with a user defined gradient starting from the mask’s border? (reading “map” as “mask” in what you wrote)

But I guess it could be reaaaly slow to calculate the distance to the mask’s border area because you’d need to compare distances from every mesh point to every masked point (could easily go into trillions of comparisons). Also this probably would work in a predictable way only for 100% b/w high contrast masks.

For the “mask select” tool though it could be faster because I think these work in 2D screen space.

Handling a volume in 3d just for masking purpose seems way too overkill, at least for Nomad scope.

Also it won’t solve the mask precision issue, actually nothing will unless I use 16bit instead of 8bit (not planned for now).

Did you try using another stroke type (for mask or any other tool)?

Too complex, I’m pretty sure zbrush doesn’t have any world space logic for masking.

Something that could help is a mask stroke that doesn’t accumulate its value when you use a lower intensity.
It’s something that I need to do for painting as well, not sure what is the exact word for that, maybe overlay or something.

That sounds cool. I’m gonna check out the other brushes to see if they work for what I’m doing. And if u don’t mind, I’ll post a couple images later in the day showing an example of what I’m doing to see if u have any suggestions or thoughts on how to solve.