Preserving sculpted layers?

Lock layer is gone, and it looks like same behaviour than before is back.
Even when “Keep Top Layers Details” is checked?
Do I hide the top layer it is uneffected by smoothing. Is it visibile anything is smoothed?

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I liked the lock function more.

It seems it’s not working at the moment with base layer/layer 1 in the web demo.

Another option to consider is having it as a brush setting instead. It could be named “sculpting reference layer” with the options ‘current layer’ and ‘top layer (default)’.

For some brushes it would probably also make sense to have a third option which is to pick a specific layer as the reference. One could for example pick a layer that’s below the current sculpting layer which is still unmodified. This could work like Zbrush’s layer brushes when a morph target is active.

There is nothing to compare, there was a bug. You can try again.
Note that you can drag n drop objects with multiple layer in the web demo. (Or you can also create a mesh then clone and join).

Not fond of the idea.
I prefer to keep layer stuff to the layer tabs, except for some exception (e.g: layer brush).

Fully understand, especially since layers do change. I was thinking being able to choose a “picking” layer but then again there’s not too many brushes where that could make sense.

On the web version, the app keeps crashing on safari when I try to merge layers. Anyone else have this behaviour?

Yeah I’ll fix it.

seems to be a problem with the keep top layer details setting in latest beta(5) top layers turn invisible during base mesh sculpting… or is this by design?

I cannot replicate the issue, what did you do exactly?

Ok that’s because of smooth shading being activated.
It doesn’t disappear, the shading is just not up-to-date.

I’ll probably need to force flat shading during sculpting in that scenario, otherwise I need 2 set of normals to update, one for sculpting one for shading, which might be overkill.

Edit: Finally I’ll handle both normals set. So it should work fine.

2 Likes