Nomad vs zbrush

Ok day one first thoughts zbrush is hyper loaded /// procreate style … will be high learning curve / wild thing is … it feels like forger on steroids … I’m so used to nomad that zbrush feels clunky

3 Likes

coming from a background of Zbrush for a few years you’ll get used to the quirks. im super happy have zspheres again

So ive been on the beta for zbrush on ipad for a while, a few of us were sent it at work (i work for Industrial Light & Magic).

And its been quite clear that there has been a lot of effort by Maxon to create an intuitive experience for zbrush on the ipad. Much like i have seen here with nomad.

One thing i notice with nomad is that there are certain key features that are sometimes buried one level down, beneath a menu to access when the user would like to access them while sculpting.
The biggest one we talk about is the ability to go up or down through subdivision levels.

I know there is effort to not clutter the interface, one that i think we all appreciate. But to not have a button to go up or down at the viewport level means that the user would need to either use nomad with keyboard bindings to quickly go up or down in subd’s or pin the menu open which covers quite a lot of viewport.

I bought up this topic a few years ago on the forums here, and bumped it a few times over the years but it’s one of the key features that i feel can slow users down.

One user had a nifty solution in the form of a two button approach but i think whatever the solution is, its about bringing a key feature of sculpting to the surface and if the fear is worrying about cluttering up the workspace then i would say to make it optional.

One other massive feature i feel the need for in Nomad compared to zbrushForIpad is transpose masking. Thats another huge one.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, rooting for nomad to succeed!!

9 Likes

They made a lot efforts on ipad UI, still the gismo buttons design looks a little odd. No layers for now? Or maybe i don’t found them. The mirror fonction is difficult to acces. Isaw they keep the “3 pyramides” on the bend curve modifier. It always makes me remember me of the “3 shells” in Demolition man movie:) I would love to have thoses kind of modifiers too but with the lovely crafted UI attention we already have in nomadsculpt. I still prefer the UI render and brush feeling of Nomadsculpt and the rendering options in Nomadsculpt is addictive.

2 Likes

I wonder why they went with the historically rooted terms like “DamStandard” and “subtools” instead of starting over.

“snake hook requires sculptris pro” will just confuse new users.

1 Like

I tried downloading Zbrush on my 6th generation iPad from 2018 with the latest iOS installed, but I still couldn’t get it to work. I’m super happy that Nomad works well on it, unlike Maxon, which doesn’t seem to care about users with iPads using the A10 Bionic chipset. I really hope Nomad continues to be accessible to everyone as much as possible. :heart_hands:

In Brazil, buying an iPad is very expensive, it’s like paying 4 or 5 thousand dollars for a mid-range iPad in the US. The taxes here are very high. Thank you, Nomad team!

5 Likes

Downloading now. Hate subscription model tho.

After playing around (with free version) I have to say they did fantastic job of porting it to iPad Pro. Also, it’s extremely polished release (thanks to beta I assume).
Still, not supporting Adobe approach (subscription) so I’ll stick with Nomad for now.

p.s. I own Pixologic desktop license (from 2020) so iPad version is not included, as you would’ve guessed.

1 Like

So how disturbed should I be that Z Brush for iPAd has not real time rendering.

What does this mean in terms of porting finished 3D art to say Procreate?

1 Like
  1. Both apps has things than can be done faster than the other. For example, I prefer switching the add and sub function of the brush using the double tap function of the apple pencil instead of pushing the left button like in zbrush

2. Always will be faster working with a keyboard than an ipad. In my pc I assigned shortcuts to switch quickly between my most used brushed in zbrush. Personally, I don’t care if I miss 0.1 seconds for not having the buttons that you propose, it`s the same time that I miss switching the brush for not having a keyboard.

3. I tried the zbrush for ipad, both has the strengths and weakness, for most of what I do when sculpt on the go nomad is enogugh, only when I really need some zbrush features like vdm brush or the posing tool I will pay the subcription of the current month

2 Likes

Everyone complaing about tools that are heavy to find: just bound it to one of those custom menus and you have quick access ^^

Took 5 minutes for me…

Some thoughts about the price/subscription: you pay 6$ for a coffee at starbucks. If 10 bucks are too much…then i don’t know. Of course, a one-time-payment would be better.

I would suggest, that you do so,e cool stuff, upload it on CGTrader and make some money to pay the 10 $ ^^

As long as Nomad keeps updating and steadily keeps adding more features to the app it can compete with Zbrush.

Does anyone use Nomad professionally for work i know some companies would prefer you to use a specific software I know Zbrush is one of those software.

4 Likes

So far super happy with zbrush app since its the first 3d program that got me started since a dekade :laughing: (stuff isnt that hard to find with a bit of searching. i might incite the wrath of Cthulhu but first impression is it feels nicer and smoother than the desktop thing)
though i think nomads ui looks still generally more approachable and pretty.
One thing i apprecchiate with zbrush ui atm is that i dont accidentally switch tools with my knuckle though. Im sure both apps can coexist just fine :+1:
now if uniform would be at least half that easy to understand id use it a lot more :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes