Nomad Sculpt Benchmark and Choosing the Most Powerful Device

Hello there. I’m new to the forum (and Nomad Sculpt) and hope this is in the appropriate category.

I am buying a phone almost with the sole focus of using it with Nomad Sculpt on the go. I use an iPad Air 5th generation at home, but I don’t take it everywhere. I am looking for some sort of Nomad Sculpt specific benchmarks, and frankly there really isn’t anything that would give me an idea of which would be more powerful when specifically using Nomad.

I know RAM, CPU, and GPU will all contribute to sculpting performance, and also with maximum resolution. I have so many questions that I do not have the answers to. How many cores does Nomad use? Is GPU used more than CPU? Etc. Will 12GB of RAM on Android allow for more vertices than 8GB on iOS? Does Nomad in general perform better on iOS or Android?

In Geekbench 6 the iPhone 15 Pro Max outperforms the S24 Ultra by a large margin in single core performance, but not by much at all in the multi core score.

Conversely, In 3DMark benchmarks, the GPU of the S24 is beating the 15 Pro Max by quite a large margin. In these benchmarks the S24 ultra has worse performance after sustained usage, but supposedly this is due to “early pre release” software (not sure if that’s even true).

It’s very frustrating not knowing which device to choose as they are both approximately the same price (the S24 Ultra is a $100 more).

I would prefer to buy the Samsung S24 Ultra, as it has unique features like the pressure sensitive S Pen, as well as Samsung DeX (it sort of makes the phone a desktop computer). I think both features would be fantastic in the future when I become a better sculptor. I believe you can even use Wacom tablets with Samsung DeX!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. $1200-$1300 may not be a ton of money for most, but it is for me. I do not want to spend it in an uninformed manner.

I can post results from different benchmarks that others have run on each respective device to this forum, but I’m not sure just how helpful that would be (if at all). Let me know if it would be helpful in determining which would be a more powerful phone to use with Nomad Sculpt.

I cannot be the only person interested in this.

I’m not sure there’s a good process for PRESSURE SENSITIVITY when doing Nomad things on an iPhone…. That alone would funnel you towards the Samsung if MOBILE form factor takes priority over SCULPTING.

However, if SCULPTING is truly the paramount requirement, then the dinky screen of ANY phone ought to be the disqualifier. I’ve briefly opened up Nomad on my PRO MAX iPhone and wasn’t at all a fan of all the pinch-out/pinch-in zooming needed to navigate the sculpt in the way I normally do for progress observation.

I understand if you don’t want to be on a sardine-packed subway conspicuously sculpting on a 11”-13” tablet, but again, if SCULPTING experience was imperative, an iPad mini can be clenched by most folk with one hand while pressure-sculpting is done by best-in-class Apple Pencil. My original 1st gen iPad Pro (A12x) is UNDER the specs of the current iPad mini (A15 Bionic) and I had no problems with Nomad in that.

Within a couple months of this post, Apple’s expected to release a slew of iPads. A new round of iPad Air (15”) and iPad Pros (double-stacked OLED) are expected. If the urgency isn’t tight, it might be worth waiting to see if an unscheduled iPad mini refresh pops up where it’ll at least get an M1 chip.

I’m using s23ultra for now for nomad and hipaint and indinity paint and i love it, the only problem is there will be no quadremesher on android. But i can use bkender with my license of quadremesher on it on my pc. Sculpting on phone is very cool of course there is some constraints for that little space but it’s like a field notes always on your pocket :grinning:

Love the iPad Mini suggestion! The iPad Air I currently have is incredibly portable but not on my person 24/7 like my phone is. This way I can sculpt wherever I am. My current phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max, it’s just time for a phone upgrade. I actually find Nomad Sculpt to be very usable on the Pro Max with the interface scaled to 0.85. it’s much less cramped when it’s scaled.

I will very likely be upgrading to the new iPad Pro coming out soon as well, unless it is the rumored $1500😬.

It would be just be nice to know objectively which phone performs better with Nomad Sculpt: the iPhone 15 Pro Max & the Samsung S24 Ultra. That’s my main question.

Maybe I’m being dumb and a benchmark like Geekbench 6 can perfectly predict Nomad Sculpt’s performance on any device. I have no clue whatsoever.

Thanks for the suggestion/response! :+1::+1::+1:

Interesting! Do you know about how many million vertices are ‘usable’ to sculpt with on the S23 Ultra before things start becoming sluggish? How is the performance with Infinite Painter? Does the S Pen make a huge difference with both?

What is quad remesher and is it available currently on the iPhone version?

Sorry if that’s too many questions, but it sounds like you know your stuff.

Self Correction: My 1st gen 2015 12.9” iPad Pro actually has an A9X chip with all of maybe 2Gb ram. It’s my current 4th gen 2020 12.9” iPad Pro that has the A12X chip (precursor to M1). What I said about the 2015 iPad Pro handling Nomad still remains.

With Nomad, Procreate Classic, Procreate Dreams, Reality Composer and the Affinity Photo/Designer combo packed into an iPad mini; that would truly be one of the most potent pocketable performance punches around. Add the “ecosystem” boost of Airdropping or Universal Clipboard Pasting to/from other nearby Apple devices this makes it impossible for me to give up this Voltron feature.

I’ve not looked into the exact Quad Remesher that Nomad Dev Stephane plans to implement but if it’s even a small step towards mimicking the renown ZRemesher that ZBrush features, that would very much be welcome. ZRemesher has the ability to more intelligently lay out friendlier topology around curved features (eyes, mouth, ears, etc) Retopologizing with the original old function would rebuild something like a delicate flowing fish fin into something that looks comprised of lego bricks. Trying to fit lego bricks into an angled or curved surface is painful to work on downstream.

1 Like

to be honest i have never pushed nomad to the break for now so i cant say precisely, i m not a pro so for what i do in term of precision, it’s working fine. But it can handle a good sculpt certainly not as detailed as on zbrush on pc or mac. But you can look at it as a start and finish your sculpt details on your p

c. Just a test and the scene is still manageable you have the infos on the screen. For ergonomic help i use this simple case with a simple handle to help using it for long sessions.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! It’s a lot to take into consideration.

Thanks!