More modeling tools

Please hear me out for a minute. I know that this is a sculpting app, and that’s the primary scope of this app. But modeling forms the basis of many sculpting projects. I typically put together a rough model first, and then refine and add onto it via the sculpting tools. I know I’m not the only one who works this way, because I’ve seen plenty of other people doing the same. For this part of the process, auto alignment and snapping features would really speed up the process. I know there are tips and tricks to get these results, but a simple and quick snap joint tool would save a lot of time. If I could easily snap objects edge-to-edge, center them in relation to each other, etc, I think it would make a huge difference for my sculpting workflow. I also use Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for my professional design work, and I’m so used to the quick and convenient alignment snapping features. I think a feature like this for Nomad would really speed up the modeling foundation work for my projects, so I could spend more time on the sculpting. As it is, I absolutely love this software, and I’m not trying to complain or anything. But I think a tool like that would really enhance the workflow, and make it even more versatile then it already is! :+1:t2:

5 Likes

I completely agree with this proposed functionality

1 Like

I started this debate since 2021 lol. As often said, you can do a lot of things on Nomad but with a lot of paths to sometimes reach the objective for something that is simple on other software. I think our favorite developer will make us happy one day but in the meantime, patience, patience, no choice

2 Likes

I salute you for waiting that long… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I agree that I can manipulate the topology by using the mask feature, but it’s just taking a lot of time.

Mask - gizmo - clear mask - mask - gizmo - clear mask

It’s okay for creating something small. But it won’t be convenient to keep doing that in a larger project.

Sometimes I’m having a hard time perfecting the masked area… I thought that I already select the faces that I want but somehow there are some area that are “slightly” affected by the mask and I didn’t realize it.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw your post when I was looking for tips and tricks for hard surface modeling here in the forum. :+1:t2:. This software is amazing, and I’m absolutely not criticizing our favorite software developer, but I do hope that these features may drop within the next year or so. I guess it depends on priorities when it comes to development of the software, but I think it would make such a big difference for the speed at which I could finish projects. Part of that is because I am a relative beginner at this, I’ve been using Nomad for probably around a year or so now. But due to my graphic design background, I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to proper alignment and centering, and on several of my sculpting/modeling projects, proper centering has been mission critical. I know that @stephomi is probably very busy with the development of this software, and I don’t want to come across as impatient, ungrateful, or demanding, but I really hope that he considers possibly adding these features. :+1:t2:. Until then, the workarounds do generally work ok, even if they take more time, and so I’ll just patiently wait and continue to use the tips and tricks I can to replicate that functionality. :+1:t2:

1 Like

The addition of facegroups in the next release will really help your mask selection. Masks are “fluffy” because they are vertex based, but facegroups are poly based and make the mask selection fully accurate :+1:t2:

2 Likes