Loosing Reversed Multiresolution Levels

Hi Stéphane !
It seems that Nomad does not keep track of the reversed multiresolution level when saving a project on some complex model (see gif in attachment).
Is there a workaround to keep them ?

Thanks !
NomadBug

1 Like

It doesn’t store the multiresolution to save memory, it’s done by design.

However Nomad tries to reverse the mesh if it has multiresolution at loading, but only for polycount <400k (or maybe a different threshold).

If you the reverse fail, try to load the file again by enabling keep topology at import in the Settings.
(in some case reverse can fail because Nomad merges some duplicate vertices or faces here and there).

2 Likes

Ok, so « it’s not bug it’s a feature » :smiley:

Do you think it could be worth it to have it as an option in the future (so in this case I’ll switch to the feature request)?

It’s just about user experience comfort to not have to use the revert button everytime we load the scene to have access to the lower subdivision level for base shape tweaking and adjustment.

I get the point of saving memory. What about display performances?

I know that ZBrush guys chose this “trade off” and used it as their advantage to save performances, so users have a have smooth display experience on the viewport by swapping back and forth between lower end highest subdivision level: switch back to the lowest subdivision level while moving around, and switch back to the highest subdivision when it comes to sculpt. It allows to handle heavy models even on less powerful computers.
Post_Nomad

(BTW : I’m writting in english on the forum so everyone can understand, but do you prefer to keep it that way or french whenever it’s possible ? ^^)

I can expose an option for the revert threshold.
I’m also thinking about not fiddling with the topology in case the mesh was a multiresolution mesh (otherwise you’ll have to select keep topology at import to be sure it works, although it should be fine in most case).

Nomad already uses lower resolution when you move the camera.
The threshold value can be changed in the settings, by default it’s 500k.

It’s not about saving memory for storage, it’s about avoid a crash when saving.
There is no virtual RAM on mobile, if you exceed it will crash, 100%

1 Like

I can expose an option for the revert threshold.
I’m also thinking about not fiddling with the topology in case the mesh was a multiresolution mesh (otherwise you’ll have to select keep topology at import to be sure it works, although it should be fine in most case).

That would be awesome!

Thanks for all those precisions, now it’s clear. :slight_smile: