How to add ‘thickness’ to a mesh?

Hi all,

Back on the topic (as with my other post), to do with creating a honey jar from the YouTube tutorial…

The shape of the jar in my scene was created by switching to front view snap, ortho view, carve outline using the lathe tool, it created the rounded geometry of the jar.

Cool.

So I then applied refractive material settings to the jar. Cool.

It looks good from a certain distance, but when viewed up close, I can notice then, that there, is no thickness to the jar, the glass is just a thin layer basically.

I’m trying to find a way to create/bulk out the geometry after the fact.
Ie, now I’ve moved on after creating and doing the lighting, materials etc.

I attempt use of the inflate tool, but it wasn’t right.

—- I just remembered that you can create a ‘hole’ when you use the tube tool for instance. Is there anything I can do here to bulk out the geometry, essentially to give it thickness and look like proper glass?

I’ve attached a quick video.

https://youtu.be/cy0pp3e4LFQ

Many thanks for reading folks.:+1:t2::+1:t2::no_mouth:

your absolutely right about the hole, that will give it thickness, just drag on the blue dot at the bottom, seems to thicken it, didn’t try making the threads so not sure how that’ll turn out

That’s cool. Thanks. , I thought I was on the right lines.

Only thing is… how can I now do that once the geometry at the spline process has been validated?

This is where I guess it’s a bit different to say Blender, where you have a modifier stack where you can go back and tweak what you’ve already done 10 steroid ago.

Whereas I think with nomad, it’s more a case of going back with undo a bunch of times until you get to where your need to be.

Do you think I’m stuffed at this point?
Or maybe just have to create the jar again?

1 Like

If your undo history is empty (third icon down left) because Nomad restarted, you need to recreate it.
I tend to duplicate lathe, tube objects before validating.
That way you save the base at least, as you can’t save the stroke, nor you have a modifier stack.

I didn’t follow all your posts. Have you tried the shell option via mask menu?
That way you can use a simple line for lathe and extract even thickness.

2 Likes

Greatful for your detailed reply.

I think best practice is like you say, create a backup of the mesh before you go ahead.

I had a go with the SEL-MASK tool you mentioned (never used it before), yeah pretty cool what it can do in this situation.

Overall though … I think it looks a bit iffy in my example, as the refraction (I think) is causing it to look just a bit messy… not sure…

Nice that it can be done though.

Video to demonstrate:
https://youtu.be/pjjgp1c4dqo