Feature request: uv-mapping

hi all, could it be possible to implement a feature to generate uvw-maps and export the painting textures as png? at least like forger is providing this? i am using c4d r13, and it cannot read vertexpainting…—

3 Likes

For now texturing is out of Nomad scope.

Maybe I’ll do it at some point but it’s not high priority as it’s not trivial.

thanks for the answer, stéphane!

I’m not super familiar with c4d but it sounds odd that it wouldn’t read vertex colors, that’s something very basic. Have you tried playing with the shader settings?

hi andrew,thanks for answering… it starts with the problem, that c4d R13 doesn´t import gltf-files… i am helping myself with the free software meshlab, it can convert vertex to texture (only colour, no roughness etc…) maybe i will try to export as obj from forger and paint it there…

You can try to import the glb directly in Blender and then export in FBX.
I don’t know much about C4D though.

Hi. I liked to request the uv map working since I use Blender and does my start work of a face there and an UV map, then exporting to Nomad (excellent app, ive used Zbrush and Nomad feels super with pen support).Then to Nomad to do the finer and more exact work. And then I want to import that back to Blender for final work, but then the UVs are gone! So this is really something important to have in the future! I know its not easy but would be really appreciated! Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

It’s not robust but there’s experimental UV support in Nomad.

• bottom of Interface menu: check UV (maybe you’ll need to click the dev button first)
  • you need to check this option before loading your object
  • in Shading menu you can choose “UV” to make sure you can see your UVs
  • Apart from multiresolution, any operation that edit the topology will either drop UV or crash

I need UV painting too!) +++

Hi with procreate 5.2 out soon (I beta test it) do you plan to add UV generator on nomad ?

2 Likes

@Kouza_Nagi This topic recently came up: Exporting 3D sculpt on Procreate beta / UV issue

1 Like

I’d very much like to echo a wish for UV generation as well. There’s a YT video that hobbles together Nomad and Forger (for the UV generation) to get over to Procreate. So much easier if we could generate UV’s natively in Nomad without resorting to Forger. IMO, Nomad is a superior to Forger but it’s combersome to work in 3 apps that way and importing Nomad models to Forger is not ideal. I’ve been awaiting a decent workflow for modeling/painting on iPad and it’s so close.

1 Like

Would love uv support too!

What do you mean? Nomad Sculpt now has UV unwrap.

UV unwrapping was added in build 1.62, we’re now on the last stretch of 1.65 before .66

Hi Steph, I’m really enjoying Nomad Sculpt it’s a great program. I’m wondering is there a way not to stretch out the object’s uv map when creating the uv from nomad. Not sure if I’m making sense, what I mean is that the default area of the uv map is squared, but if I create a mesh that’s not squared it will get stretched out. Hope this makes sense.

That’s how UV unwrapping works - peel an orange and see what you end up with. That’s basically UV unwrapping.

Thanks for the response, I do understand what you are saying, it’s only that when I uv map on blender the same object isn’t stretched out the same way. Maybe it just me thanks again.

It may be a while before a viable UV unwrapping solution on the iPad is available, so desktop is best bet if you want clean UVs to paint on. I have heard that this is exceptionally good but I haven’t personally used it! RIZOMUV VIRTUAL SPACES AND REAL SPACE - UV Mapping 3D Software - RIZOM-LAB

Blender probably has a different auto-unwrap algorithm to the one added in Nomad. Nomads was added simply to allow export to ProCreate when they first released 3D painting - I’m pretty sure that Stephane would make it differently if it was higher on the list of priorities. :+1:t2: