Extruding an imported 2D image

I’m fairly new to Nomad, so apologies if there is an obvious answer to this question, but I haven’t found it yet. I would like to import a 2d raster image (black and white) into nomad, and then extrude out the white parts. What is the best way to achieve this?

Can I import an image and use it like this with the triplanar? In other words, instead of drawing by hand with the mask brush on the triplanar, can I use my imported image to create the mask? Or is there another way?

I know that I can create stamps with imported images, but I particularly like the smoothing function of the triplanar, so it would be nice to use that.

EDIT: I should add that I need the imported image to be a precise, absolute size, so I don’t think I can just use the mask brush with an imported alpha. I don’t think the mask brush gives me precise, measurable control over the alpha size?

Hi jim1234

This sculpt of mine was done as an extrude using masks.

“The Box” sculpt

The trick is having a high enough resolution on the mesh to handle the detail

Gary

I kind of explain it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQKGaaFTcW0

All the best
G

Thanks, that’s certainly pretty close to what I was looking for. Do you happen to know if it’s possible to force an imported alpha being used with the mask tool to open at it’s original size? Precise sizing is critical for what I’m doing, and although it might be possible to resize manually afterwards it’s not ideal. My hope is that I could simply create a black and white raster image of particular dimensions; import it at 100% it’s original size; extrude it to a particular height, then job done! Perhaps I need to go down the route of vectorizing the raster, then, in blender, converting the vector to mesh and extruding. Still, I prefer using Nomad so much more than blender that I’ll try to achieve what I need within Nomad first!

I font think the precise sizing you are after is possible in nomad.

The textures are linked to the sizes of the brushes.

Even if you brought it in as a background image or something like that i dont think you’d get ghe accuracy you’re after.