Exporting 3D sculpt on Procreate beta / UV issue

I did not get selected for the Procreate beta, so I don’t know how it feels to work with but from what I have seen it looks very good. I have a very specific reason to use Procreates 3d paint feature and it’s one I asked for years ago.

I’m a tattoo artist. When I first got the iPad pro it was a weird thing in my profession, but soon it was clear how useful it can be. Now most tattooers use Procreate in some way.

I have used a few not ideal ways to layout tattoo designs on 3d arms and other body parts over the years. It works very well as a concept and if 3d paint works they way I think it does in Procreate it will be very popular feature for tattooers in year or so when the new “this is weird” feeling goes away. An easy way to uv map modes is also required. The next step it to use the lidar scanner to get a models of a specific arm and design on that.

2 Likes

Well, I think I have to correct myself.
Seeing from the point what I was hoping for, a bit more desktop clip studio referencing and 3D integration, easy workflow and integration as easy import, I am disappointed. But from painting point of view it’s very nice, except that you can’t define materials. You need to define metallnes and roughness settings per brush, deep in brush studio settings, which is obviously not optimal.

I couldn’t import straight from sketchfab like with Nomad, which a big minus. But AR USDZ file format can be read. So maybe, maybe your hopes become sooner reality than one would think. Your workflow is indeed a nice dream.

1 Like

Nomad - zBrush - Procreate - Blender
Tested this today.

Tiny sculpt in Nomad and export to obj and zBrush.
In zBrush, zRemesher, Subdivide, reproject, UV Master.
Export obj again.

Open in Procreate 5.2. and painted there. Really fun. Used my charcoal brushes. Really, really cool blending smudging (even for roughness and metalness) except silly idea to hide PBR control in brush studio. Eye dropper ignores them as well.

Procreate renderer is far away from Nomads renderer like it is now. But no way back with textures? So got it to max, Maya and Blender. Also tried 3D coat. Best and easiest workflow I found was with blender ……the most expensive app of all.

5 Likes

Are you able to do the zbrush steps in blender easily as well?

I am not good in blender. But blender is the 3D app with most tutorials. Just check them out.

I wish we could do all the steps on ipad … * sigh * … in the meantime we use the good old zbrush method.

3 Likes

It’s easiest. 3d Coats UV Tools are said to be even better, but to be honest I didn’t check them carefully. New 3D Coat branch has a texturing only version for something like 80€?? Worth to check if an unwrapper is included.
I could have done this in forger as well, maybe, maybe with some crashes, but UV master does a good job for a UV quickie.

1 Like

You can bake texture to vertex color in Blender, then bring back to Nomad.

I’ve been messing with photogrammetry and have found that MeshLab does reprojection of texture maps from low poly to high poly & bakes to vertex colour also. It surprised me that it does it really well!. I’ve not really delved too deeply into Meshlab as it has a win95 interface, but it is very powerful when you go looking through its many functions.

1 Like

Thank you, could be an option. It‘s just that I like Nomad renders more.
But to be honest……I wouldn‘t do this in real life.
Start in Nomad, end in Nomad - done for most cases. If I need to start the desktop, I‘ll stay there.

Procreate painting functions are awesome. But without simple symmetry? All this action just for painting in Procreate which could be done better in Nomad in half time? (Cavity mask, symmetry, adding depth and paint……etc etc)

What is super cool is quick shape. And the big amount of brushes.
But quick shape this is so much better in Infinite Painter ….if Stephane will ever think to integrate this function, ( which would be awesome, for any tool please, even masking :heartbeat: ) Infinite Painter is the place to look at. With stamp function. The Fuckaround for duplicating quick shapes is not working anymore in new Procreate. But that was just a fraction of functionality IP is offering, anyway.

3 Likes

Totally agree! That’s why in most works recently are 99% Nomad!
I believe everything can be done in Nomad and the only limit is ours iimagination.

1 Like

Yup, think I’m going to go back to Blender to in turn do UV Maps and then export to Procreate.

Any pointer to best YouTubes or videos that demonstrate the simplest best means to do so is greatly appreciated.

This is just my Nomad render as PNG to Procreate 5.2

my photo taken in Burano Italy

1 Like

Low poly models work fine in ProCreate once they’ve had a trip through Forger or the desktop. A friend of mine, Eric Lee, has been creating some brilliant examples on his YouTube channel: eric3dee - YouTube