Exporting 3D sculpt on Procreate beta / UV issue

Problem with add-ons and extra apps is it’s more work to also support those and update them, nice to think about though my friend. Problem with UV co-ordinates is also the device trying to compute it, this being restricted as an iPad Pro additional purchase could solve that one day, as it allows still for Nomad to run universally on all devices, with the option to enhance it a notch on more powerful hardware that can handle this task. Not being developers ourselves, there’s also other insights and hurdles that we are not aware of to bring features like this into fruition. Time & patience - that’s all the support we need to give. Nice input man.

I wouldn’t say « easily », automatic uv unwrapping is not a solved problem, at all.

It could be 100$, that wouldn’t change the fact it’s still as hard as before.
I don’t get the features done in Nomad by sending money to my Mac, it’s all about finding what is high and lower priority.

Also it’s more complex than that, models in Nomad are very quickly high poly and When I tested one in Procreate it didn’t like that (maybe that was just my mesh, I don’t know).
So it’s just not about unwrapping, but potentially decimate+uv unwrap+baking vertex color, in a single operation.

2 Likes

Thanks for breaking it down. It seems like a lot is going to change soon, especially with the new procreate 3D feature. It’s easy on our end (consumers) to make requests that sound simple in our minds but open Pandora’s box on the developers side.
The possibility of getting to use procreate to paint the models excites me tremendously.

2 Likes

I did wonder about this in all fairness. It’s leaning in toward my suspects that this update is basically for desktop models. The robot model they’ve been advertising on marketing images looks low poly with a body frame built via traditional modelling software.

1 Like

@r_moseley_art Using ProCreate’s painting feature would be interesting. But, equally, in the same breathe, it doesn’t bother me as much. The heart of my work is in modelling, this is but another generic fancy app feature currently unusable in this pipeline. This kind of portable work flow however is quite new, give the market time to adjust and there will be more opportunities on the horizon. That is what I’m excited over… just have to make sure the dough keeps coming in enough to keep up with Apple’s hardware upgrades to go with it.

Equally, @stephomi the possibility of a few extra bells and whistles added over the next few builds to Nomad’s own painting feature would be enough to stop others waning for the lack of ProCreate’s 5.2. On the surface PC 5.2 isn’t doing anything too much difference - if any - than what Nomad already does anyway.

1 Like

I don’t know yet what I’ll do but handling UV in a sculpting software is a bit tricky if you are not familiar with thoses.

Something as trivial as just “merge those 2 meshes” tends to be tricky if you have UVs because you somewhat needs to pack 2 different in the same UV charts (and if you have different textures then you need to pack them into a single one, etc).
So the obvious solution in many softwares is simply “well I’m dropping the UVs”.

There are tons of other operation that made everything more tricky if you want to somewhat keep UVs, and everything is even more annoying when you remind yourself that the user base in Nomad is more or less ignorant on these subjects.

For example in forger you cannot sculpt and texture at the same time, you need to choose in which mode you are. (you can of course do vertex painting at the same time of sculpting but it’s not texturing).

That’s why if I do uv unwrap, the priority would probably be a “go to procreate” button that does everything before sending it to Procreate: decimate+unwrap+baking.

Anyway, the whole UV question is not new to me. Even before Procreate 5.2 was announced I knew they weren’t going to do uv unwrap and that the issue would be raised.

2 Likes

I can imagine the headache dealing with the public brings, especially on topics like this. You know this territory far better than anyone else my friend, I’m happy to just pop my feet up in the mean time, continue sculpting and see what more you to decide to bring to Nomad as it evolves. You’re a very patient man Stephane, thank you :+1:

Hi, I don’t know if it help but I export 2 meshes bust and glasses and save to files, then import in forger after uv generate and send to procreate in format USD, with OBJ format you share the same uv space on the to meshes, it’s annoying, but USD is fine.

I can fix that.

1 Like

I don‘t know any Programm keeping UVs while changing topology, is there one?
I don‘t know Ptex, but there was once a hype Prex could replace UVs.

Creating UVs is a clear step. After, no more topology changes are possible, without quite some work to readjust, reproject. Isn’t it?

1 Like

Some 3D soft can do it, blender keep your uv.s when you decimate for ex.

1 Like

I guess you often confound working decently with do it crappy somehow like bull shit :joy:

1 Like

omg man you say I don’t know, I just say yes some soft do it, nothing more :rofl:

1 Like

:grin: Blender can do it, I just think Knacki meant it won’t do it in a good way. :man_shrugging: - either way, UV’s in Nomad are out of the equation for now. Let’s do some 3D work! :muscle:

Haha, sorry, this thread is endless. I was referring to this.

Forger is no good in UVs. It is more like pray and hope.
All other sculpting apps are crap, I would say. Or discontinued.
Blender is a different story, but not available for iPad.

Painting UVs in Procreate is nice….well painting texture on iPad with Procreate brushes is, but they have quite a long way ahead to have a real good solution in my opinion. And when they got there, there will be a good UVs generator in Nomad, or other options.

Maybe I am wrong, time will show.

Nomad keeps the UVs for its subdivide, reverse and decimate algorithm.

For dyntopo is possible but more work.
For voxel remeshing… well the very tricky part is keeping seams, not planned.

For now the only thing I might do is adding uv support for all the primitives (except triplanar) in Nomad.

But UV still is experimental (hidden behind the options in interface menu).
Also adding UVs currently add +30% to the mesh in Nomad in term of memory, it’s the main reason why I disable it for now.

1 Like

I tried export w/o paint in OBJ and Procreate would not recognize the file.

I sent an OBJ of a model I did in Nomad to Procreate today…

It won’t dude. Need UV texture co-ordinates first. Whole thread here is about it all.

Pardon my ignorance but what’s the interest of sending a Nomad 3D model to Procreate ? Nomad has already everything you need : modeling, layers and painting. If you need more, then push it to Blender or 3dCoat and its powerful Retopo tool! You’ll render after all in any renderer from the market (like KeyShot). I mean, Nomad is already enough advanced to render incredibly pictures and obj or gltf2. Quite enough for a 6 gb Ram device, don’t you think?
What can Procreate gives more?

Agreed for the moment. What so far is offered in Procreate, one can have better much better in Nomad.
Except UV painting. What is interesting for most 3D guys as well.
And as it is all about mobile here, I see a reason for some peeps to get Procreates nice brushes into 3D UV painting.

But future will probably offer more interesting possibilities? Maybe not?
I have no real understanding why Procreate wasn’t fishing in a closer territory for 2D painters.
Like mental canvas with animation options?
Like combining 2D and use 3D for reference simultaneously?
Like, like, like ……a lot.

There is a hype similar to a baby walks it’s first steps.
Or is it already a toddlers hurdle race? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes