Experimental flatten tools awesomeness!

Absolutely brilliant for hard surface!

Merci Stephane!

:star_struck:

5 Likes

Mr. Stephane, you are a wizard of the highest order!
A good wizard… not one those weird ones who tries to collect rings for giant talking eyeballs.
You rock sir… I will check this out ASAP!

2 Likes

I was playing with this also, wasn’t sure if this was recently added in or just never noticed it in the builds. Nice! Stephane’s good at hiding these things for us to find!

Nope, it’s blazing new (v1.65)

1 Like

Works crazy good. Do you guys understood all settings?
Check all four boxes and leave offset on 0 does the cool thing, but does someone got the tech behind? Anything else we can do with this magic?

Some combinations probably don’t make much sense.
Some people complained about the behavior of the flatten tool (pushes the surface too much, etc).

Typically, zbrush has lot of different flatten-based tool, (trim adaptive, trim dynamic, planar, flatten, hpolish).

I tried to improve it but it quickly turned to endless tweaking, and since I didn’t want to spend much time on it I decided to just expose the parameters that the tool was internally using.

Flatten simply pushes vertices toward a plane.
A plane is defined by a 3d point (origin) and a normal (direction)

• lock direction/origin
    It means the plane will be computed once, and will stays the same during the stroke (only if offset is set to 0)
  • average direction/origin
    Average means it will take all the vertices under the circle and take a mean value. If these options are disabled, it will only take the value of the nearest vertex at the center
  • offset
    It offsets the plane a little bit toward the normal direction. If set to non-zero it will still push the surface a bit even if the surface is completely planar.
    I think there’s a bug in that it will continually push the plane even if « lock » options are enabled, but it should probably not.
10 Likes

Wow! :love_you_gesture: hard surface power up!

Great surprise. That looks very useful. :+1:t2: