Can’t paint split objects

I’m fairly new to 3d modeling, so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. When I split an object, I can no longer paint it. No matter what I do, it stays the color of the original object. Please help.

2 Likes

Try using PBR (environment maps) rather than matcap painting, and make sure you only have the object you are painting selected. If you don’t paint the objects individually, as you stated, they will all be the same colour. If you alter the roughness/metal of the textures you can kinda fool the system into having different paint/pseudo reflectivity on each object. To make glass domes etc just slice an object with another to make a thin wall, then alter the opacity. This works best with the PBR maps. (Hope this makes some sense)

2 Likes

If you post a quick video or screenshots, it should be easy to spot the issue.

1 Like

I have tried with PBR and MatCap. Same results either way. I only have the item I’m painting selected. The opacity is up. The paint intensity is up. The cursor is showing, but nothing happens when I try to paint. Using the same settings, I can paint just fine on objects that have not been split from another object.

1 Like

This might be a dumb suggestion, but try clearing all the masks. Did you use masks to split? Sometimes I forget to clear the mask and gets in all kind of problems…

1 Like

The only things I can think of that might cause this problem is that a mask is still applied as CarlMcRaven stated or a sculpt/paint layer slider might be turned down to zero which wouldn’t show any new changes.

I tried merging, extracting and separating objects but things work okay.

Hopefully it’s something simple that’s been overlooked. :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

All masks have been cleared.

1 Like
  1. Check that you are not painting a layer that is below another fully painted layer.
    Merging 2 meshes (with one layer for each objects) will result in a single object with 2 layers.
    You can merge down the 2 layers if you don’t need them separated.

2. There are multiple objects in the scene, maybe make sure there is no 2 identical objects that lies on the same position.

Good point, the layer intensity is also displayed next to the layer name at the bottom.
Green means the intensity 1, below the color switches to orange.
I made this color behavior especially for this use case.

1 Like

I actually had a dream last night that it could be layers. Even my own brain was like “Duh. You’re working on the wrong layer.” Sure enough, that was it. I knew it had to be something super simple that I was overlooking. Thanks for all of the suggestions and helping me work through it. I love the app and can’t wait to see where it goes!

2 Likes