Black Psalm Press Art

Working on comics and animated shorts. Using Nomad Sculpt for a lot of the character design.

16 Likes

Your work is incredible, everything has been rendered in nomadsculpt?

1 Like

Oh Wow!!! This is awesome! :+1:

1 Like

Hey thanks! Yes, all rendered in Nomad. The big guy / robot girl UVs were painted in Procreate.

2 Likes

This guy’s name is ‘Not Sanderson.’
He’s a prisoner locked in an oubliette outside of reality. But there’s a little door… :crazy_face:

Flow: 30 second pencil doodle > Fun times in Nomad > Stressed-out in Blender, with my computer fans screaming, trying to animate a guy made of smoke.

12 Likes

wow, it’s very cool!

1 Like

Amazing! :star_struck: Sorry for the noob question but how did you do the texture for the cloth and skin?

1 Like

The skin on the guy with the cigarette uses a pbr texture found online. I painted over the original pbr base color in Procreate. The normal map is doing most of the work there, making the pores and bumps. Same for his shirt - I don’t even know what the actual texture was supposed to be - I plug in random textures and play with scale, watching how they catch the lighting. Everything else (vulture head, big guy head, samurai face, the hand/arm) was the stamp tool with skin/pore alphas and the crease/pinch brushes for wrinkles and details.

Here’s a pbr texture very close to the one I used for the cigarette guy’s skin:
skin.zip (3.8 MB)

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Beautiful! Thank you so much :blush:

1 Like

The images above are for a realistic-looking project.
I’m also working on a stylized/simple/dumb project about animals on drugs doing stupid things. The way things look is secondary to bad jokes and weird situations. All of the character/set/prop design is done in Nomad, because working while laying flat on my back beats sitting in a chair.

A couple of the characters have fur, so I fake that in Nomad (badly, I know. It’s ok) to get an idea of how things might look, then I move them to Blender, clean up the topology (aka mash QuadRemesher’s REMESH IT button), then add ‘proper’ fur/hair:

6 Likes

This is Mike and Yolanda.

7 Likes

Nice colors and atmosphere

Amazing!!

WIP stuff for an ongoing comic/cartoon project. Everything is Nomad except for the 2D drawing elements, which were done in Procreate. At this point, I’m using Nomad for all of the character & prop sculpting, background set arrangement, figuring out lighting & colors, and shot composition for storyboards. Super fun.

8 Likes

Nice :grinning:

1 Like

Cool stuff!