About transparent background and material

I made a refractive material, but when the transparent background is selected for rendering, the refractive transparent background becomes black, how can I get a transparent PNG with the correct alpha channel?

In the absence of substance there is nothing, a.k.a. black

If you want something other than Black you need to put something there. So either a color plane, color background while leaving the transparent background unchecked, or something else.

PNG cannot support refraction, use another transparency mode.

Thanks for your answer, I wanted to have certain parts appear as glass in the PNG and then composite it with a different background in other programs so it can’t be a specific color or something, now I’m using blending to simulate it and the results seem to be ok.

Thank you very much, you reminded me to use blending to get the desired effect, thanks!

Now I can match different backgrounds in Procreate or PS or other programs with PNG

4 Likes

I’m doing something similar in a project right now and would LOVE for you to be more detailed about what you did to get the glass to work in a png file

Change Material to blending.
Metal & roughness high, opacity down.
Nice glass effect working with png alpha.

1 Like

Cool trick, thanks for sharing!

You can also invert the alpha and use it to distort the region that’s being refracted. Procreate makes this needlessly difficult, but fun.

• I copied the layer with the head, set alpha lock, painted white (layer 1 in the screenshot).
  • I set the background layer colour to black, then spanner menu, copy canvas, paste into a new layer.
  • Invert the layer using curves (there’s probably an easier way), and paint the now white background parts black, so now there’s a white part of only the transparent glass bits (layer 3 in the screenshot).
  • Use the selection menu to choose the white bit, convert this selection to a layer mask on a copy of your background,
  • distort/chromabb away.
1 Like

Worked like a charm! Thanks!