About block out

Questions for 3d sculpting pros because i think i’m not doing things in order. Usually when I create something I do the Block out → sculpt the big details → sculpt the fine details. Except that I still don’t know if this is the right method because inevitably we often have to do a boolean with voxel remesh and therefore we can lose details or sometimes have artefacts. I rarely see the people who all weld and then sculpt. So I don’t really know. if anyone can enlighten me thanks.

1 Like

I’ve found Glenn Southern’s trex course helps explain that particular workflow (and more importantly the reasons for it) really well

1 Like

I do all my remeshing and topology altering operations at the beginning during the block out stage. I try not to use the remesher after this - unless its absolutely necessary/compulsory to continue - and then rely on subdivisions so I can switch between high and low states of mesh, that way fine detail can be altered on high level subdivisions and frame work adjustments on lower res, without sacrifice on time of having to go over it again. I’ve even made do with simple merges instead of voxel’s at later stages just so I didn’t have to go through the nightmare of an entire model re-detail. Alternatively, I might ignore this approach entirely and keep a low poly base and go straight for DynTopo after everything is built - depends on what I’m making. I approach each build differently, with a shake up of this routine. As for real fine surface detail, this always go on the end for me after post processing, lighting and textures. Doesn’t always go according to plan and this smoothly during builds, but over-all this model of workflow serves me well.

1 Like

It depends on the subject. Hardsurface or sculpting organic stuff I.e.
Hardsurface booleans can even be more crisp doing it on high res with keep harp edges switched on.
But I am dancing on the edge with my iPad Pro 10,5”
Something like 2,5 million and 1,5 million objects with voxel merge at 1000.

But here one can save quite a bit memory before operations, when using masking and decimate I.e. and change log says this operation will be optimised.

On the other hand it seems like the internal booleans for trim and split are working differently and it’s a good idea not to go very high res to keep hinges light and easy. I love to use project to form basic low poly for hard-surface. This works very fine, a bit like low poly modelling, but inside it’s possibilities and boundaries.
Aaaaaand check out working on extracted shells with med poly internal booleans! Subdivide later. Sun is rising!!! :vulcan_salute:

That said, I am going differently for organic modelling.
Blocking out and trying to avoid booleans after added details.

I am struggling a bit with dyntopo workflow, as added polygons do have this cracked transition from low poly to high poly. This, I have to improve, because I guess this is the way to go for organic modelling. @SporkFuMaster is my hero in that. But @Adam seems to be a perfect dyntopo dancer as well.

@aaaronorg did you sign an NDA or an advertising contract, or both with Glen, that you can’t tell in a few sentence what’s the basic workflow is? :joy:

1 Like

@knacki Fair play! It was late I was tired—(I’m still learning very much learning). Oh, and Glenn is so much better at explaining it than I ever could!

Thank you for your answers. I see that in fact there is no universal method, it’s more of the feeling. Here I found a trick to my surprise it worked. Instead of trying to weld my 3 objects which were already detailed and which had holes after a voxel remesh, I simply made a “Simple merge of its 3 objects” and then at the level of the seam I put some clay and flatten in fill mode and well that has quite effectively masked a large visible part of the seam while having 3 separate objects. I’ll show you when I finish this project.

1 Like

I found the Clay tool is actually really good at blending separated mesh’s together and having them look entirely integrated. Look forward to seeing your work dude. Good luck.

1 Like

you will see it soon but will have to be indulgent it will be the first time that I do something a little more “kawaii” and therefore as I always tend to have the bad habit of adding details everywhere it is difficult for me to tell myself that as it stands i like it lol. But I think I’m reasonable because too many details can screw things up.

1 Like